Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Crossovers and which Inductor is right?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd May 2020, 02:41 PM   #41
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

You can eliminate the expensive L-pads for purposes of testing. Get an assortment of the Dayton Audio grade 10w white cement resistors. They are about $0.7ea and sound fine for 98% of speaker duties. Get several (4) of each value like 0.51R, 1R, 2R, 3.3R, 4.7R, 6.8R, 10R, 20R. You should be able to make any value you want to adjust the padding. It will sound better than an Lpad too. Use something like Wago quick connectors to make and swap connections.

For $200, I made myself essentially a complete XO development kit from inductors, caps, and resistors from PE’s inventory. My inductors range from 10mH (iron core) to 4mH air core down to 0.1mH all air core in nice increments and multiple ones of certain values to build any value I could reasonably need. Same with caps - I have film caps as large as 38uF, and down to 0.47uF. Multiple values of 1uF, lots of 2.2uF, 3.3uF, 4.7uF, lots of 5uF, 10uF, 22uF, 33uF, etc. a few 50uF BP’s , and big fat 60uF I got from Vunce as a gift. I also have a few 50uF motor run caps (not shown). And the R’s I already mentioned.

Now with this kit, I have been able to tackle 5 different custom crossover designs from scratch. That is, once I have the rough design in Xsim, I can immediately prototype the actual one from this $200 kit in minutes. No waiting for the parts to arrive, no wondering which part sounds better. I can hear it and measure right away. Make changes in real time and re-measure. It’s awesome.

Once I am happy, I order dedicated (possibly higher quality parts of needed) and return the items used for development back to their case for the next project.

Take for example my latest passive Harsch XO. I designed, built and tested this speaker in one night after I received the new PTT6.5 driver.

Click the image to open in full size.

Prototype assembled in 15 minutes from the XO Dev Kit:

It sounds awesome! The permanent crossover parts are on their way, and I upgraded to a 0.68mH flat copper foil inductor that was on sale for $10ea! I used a $7 Mills resistor in 1 place only: the 2ohm attenuation (pad) for the tweeter. But total cost was well below $100 for stereo pair of XO’s.

Here is the XO Dev Kit:
Crossovers and which Inductor is right?-13e41eb8-48c9-47ad-a83f-2d81d362101f-jpeg
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 13E41EB8-48C9-47AD-A83F-2D81D362101F.jpeg (488.0 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by xrk971; 23rd May 2020 at 02:44 PM.
Old 23rd May 2020, 02:48 PM   #42
Topping is offline Topping  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes in hindsight putting the mid in its own chamber is way better ...if your going for ultimate fidelity.
Old 23rd May 2020, 03:20 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

Quite a few different w70 models were produced....3way 10in mid ..4way 8in mid ect ect.....dont add a 2nd wofer ....remember u have a piece of history .....play to its strong points

Last edited by Topping; 23rd May 2020 at 03:28 PM.
Old 23rd May 2020, 03:36 PM   #44
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

More history Dean. As an SFB/3 fan, I hope you will appreciate it:

British Industries Corporation (BIC) was the US agent for Wharfedale products, Garrard turntables and Leak amplifiers and was known as the 'Atlantic Pact' hi-fi firm.

BIC set up the subsidiary Wharfedale Audio Products to facilitate the marriage of Wharfedale drivers with locally sourced and styled enclosures.

In 1957, BIC produced its own versions of the SFB/3. The 'Warwick Custom' model was similar in appearance to the UK model but less austere, while the 'Windsor Deluxe' version appears to have the baffle contained in an ornate, open-backed cabinet. The two versions sold for $199 and $249 respectively.

(Information extracted from 'A Pair of Wharfedales' by David Briggs.)
Old 23rd May 2020, 03:52 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Here's some pics!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Custom & Windsor Advert.jpg (238.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Windsor Deluxe Front.JPG (307.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Windsor Deluxe Rear.JPG (295.6 KB, 13 views)
Old 23rd May 2020, 06:57 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

ALNICO , i have not seen that model ...late 50's .wow

Last edited by Topping; 23rd May 2020 at 07:00 PM.
Old 26th May 2020, 12:35 PM   #47
hallcon83 is offline hallcon83  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi - Thanks everyone I'm actually learning a lot.

-----

XRK , great ideas on the xover kit! --- what kind of software and hardware are you using for your crossover testing?
Old 26th May 2020, 12:49 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

- Hi Galu, Great information on the Wharfedale history , I didn't know that the W70's were only made for the US. - Also I hadn't seen the Warwick Custom before. Thanks

---- Just about ready to pull the trigger on the crossover parts --
Old 26th May 2020, 01:04 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

I was looking at the - Dayton Audio grade 10w white cement resistors , you must have bought yours awhile ago , most are 1.41 ea. .... LOL

- I have a question how do i know that 10 watts resistor is enough for the tweeter? -

- And then the same question for the L-Pad that is on the eight inch Midrange.... the L-Pads are quite a bit more than 10 watts. The recommended size was 50 or 100 watt L-Pads , I'm sure part of that is to better dissipate the heat but......
Old 26th May 2020, 02:38 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

Only a small percentage of the total system power goes to the tweeter, typically 10%. Therefore, in the context of your W70 system, a 10W tweeter resistor is perfectly adequate.

A higher percentage of the total system power goes to the midrange and, for effective heat dissipation purposes, the L-Pad attenuator should be at least 50W.

Crossovers and which Inductor is right?Hide this!Advertise here!