Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Crossovers and which Inductor is right?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th May 2020, 05:39 PM   #31
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topping View Post
my original w70 crossover was junk
Do you wish to share your new W70 crossover schematic?
Old 18th May 2020, 07:28 PM   #32
Topping is offline Topping  United States
diyAudio Member

. a first order tweeter cap of 7.3uf or 6.5uf is plain ludicrous. (Do this and say goodby to your tweeter in no time PLUS IT WILL SOUND LIKE GARBAGE) just my 2cents friends .

Last edited by Topping; 18th May 2020 at 07:38 PM.
Old 18th May 2020, 09:03 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

I'll take that as a 'no' then.
Old 18th May 2020, 10:02 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

there is so many good ways to setup a crossover ,,,every ones prefered sound is so differnt....the potentiometers is kinda cool , as so many recording's differ ( or not ,to keep things more simple ).
Old 18th May 2020, 10:38 PM   #35
benb is offline benb  United States
diyAudio Member

You may want to get an LCR meter and measure the value of each component of the original crossover, that way you can pretty much reproduce it with new components (while you're at it measure the new values too). Older components had tolerances of +/- 10 or 20% (unless they happened to have been selected or matched between speaker pairs) and in addition those values may have changed over time, so two "identical" speakers could sound slightly different, not even counting variations in drivers.
Old 18th May 2020, 10:56 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

60's warfa 12 inch woffers , sound like giant midrange's .in good way

Last edited by Topping; 18th May 2020 at 11:25 PM.
Old 23rd May 2020, 07:48 AM   #37
hallcon83 is offline hallcon83  United States
diyAudio Member

- Hi Topping, thank you for the input. I would really like to learn about crossovers.

- Please, could you post what parts you chose, and show how you decided to set up your crossovers?

Best Regards,
Dean
Old 23rd May 2020, 09:11 AM   #38
hallcon83 is offline hallcon83  United States
diyAudio Member

- Hi Galu, I have been thinking for awhile about the aspect that you mentioned about keeping the Wharfedale W70's as close to stock as possible for their historical value and for resale . . . . For the crossover it would be easy to make two crossover boards one that uses the original component values but new parts, and then the second board with the new modern style crossover. To simplify things a little both would have their own wiring harness too , that way the customer/buyer could have the option of which crossover he would like to use and it would be just a few solder connections and your choice is up and running, after I find out the buyers preference I would solder it in... I could also include both in the sale -- --
- I'm now thinking I want to do the same for the original sand filled back. First I make a second back for the speaker with the cut outs for the second woofer... I will also make it so it will be sand filled just as the original back was. -------- Then I would Carefully cut the original back panel off with the sand intact , clean up the edges then add an inner lip to that back piece and a gasket so it can be screwed back in place for resale if necessary. I would also make a frame to be screwed / glued to the inside of the speaker cabinet that will keep the cabinets from flexing now that the back is not a solid part of the box ,and also so the back panel would have something solid to but up to. --- I could also add brass screw inserts so either back panel can be screwed on and get a good tight seal.
- In fact, the way the manufacturer set things up is, that at the moment to get in to do anything with the drivers or crossover you have to unscrew the front of the cabinet which the drivers are screwed to, so I'm thinking I should maybe add brass screw inserts and a gasket to the already removable front piece too.

Best Regards,
Dean
Old 23rd May 2020, 12:25 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Just some historical information for interest:

Wharfedale Audio Products produced 'Americanised' versions of the UK cabinet systems of increasing degrees of differentiation. The Wharfedale W70 had no UK equivalent and was created exclusively for the US market. All the components were supplied from the UK, but the furniture-styled cabinets were locally sourced and the systems assembled at Port Washington, Long Island. (Information from 'A Pair of Wharfedales' by David Briggs.)

Now, if your Wharfedale was a UK model, I'd be much more upset over you modifying it!
Old 23rd May 2020, 02:26 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Ok hallcon ,remember on this vintage speaker , TODAYS modern deep bass is not going to be its strenth .but it can tuned down some (to remove some of the massive midrange this speaker makes)...YOU may need a seprate SUB. .. mine had the 10in mid and i used the one pot the control IT.

Last edited by Topping; 23rd May 2020 at 02:43 PM.

Crossovers and which Inductor is right?Hide this!Advertise here!