Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Crossovers and which Inductor is right?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th May 2020, 07:09 PM   #11
hallcon83 is offline hallcon83  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks all , this is helping a lot!

-- Your right I probably should have started out with the speaker and crossover ... but I was a little gun shy - Iv'e gotten a few comments about why waste my time with a very old design that doesn't probably come close to today's speakers . . .
The speaker is a vintage design a Wharfedale W70 from 1966 that really shocked me as to how good it actually sounded, and that was with a very primitive xover - just a couple of capacitors and 2 L-Pads all of which are 54 years old , and at least from the L-Pads stand point are barely functioning.
-- I had read about the Wharfedale W70's , W90's and the SFB-3 speakers and I was really interested in the SFB-3 which was their answer to the Quad 57 that had just come out about that time -- ( their goal was to make a speaker that could sound as good as the quad but be much more dynamic )... so I wanted to try the SFB-3 but it's more rare and a lot more money than the other two , so I decided to go easy and try the smaller version - the W70 and that way not having to invest to much money to find out if I agreed with what people thought of the sound quality of the speaker design. So I got lucky and found a pair of the W70's locally in very good cosmetic shape for their age and only paid $200 for them. And well --- they actually really did sound very good! So along with replacing the crossover and L-Pads, I have some other ideas about how to go about taking them to the next level after that too.

--- Here is a picture of the speakers , unfortunately this is before I cleaned them up - they were very dusty and dirty. I also want to refinish them ... and maybe add new veneer too - we'll see ....

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/eVYAA...Ji/s-l1600.jpg

---- And here is one of the more modern but simple crossovers I want to try ---

http://www.cyberbilly.com/chicken/W70038.jpg

Last edited by hallcon83; 13th May 2020 at 07:11 PM.
Old 13th May 2020, 07:28 PM   #12
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallcon83 View Post
Iv'e gotten a few comments about why waste my time with a very old design that doesn't probably come close to today's speakers . . .
Ignore such comments, you've got a bit of loudspeaker history there!

So, you are looking at a published, custom crossover design for the W3 - that is most helpful information.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wharfedale W3.jpg (145.0 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg W3 XO Upgrade.jpg (69.4 KB, 114 views)
Old 13th May 2020, 07:41 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I fail to see why the capacitor, inductor and resistor values have to be so precise given that your loudspeaker drivers will have aged differently from those of the person who designed the custom crossover.

Choose components whose standard values are close to those listed and don't get anal about the whole sheebang!

For example, C2 could be a 47uF without affecting the result audibly.
Old 13th May 2020, 08:12 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Alternatively, there's a lot to be said for renovating the crossover as it was originally designed, simply by substituting modern polypropylene capacitors.

This would preserve/enhance the vintage sound and prevent Wharfedale founder Gilbert Briggs from turning in his grave!

I believe that Wharfedale used 50 ohm potentiometers and these could usefully be replaced with modern 8 ohm variable L pad controls.
Old 13th May 2020, 08:22 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

P.S. I said W3 earlier. Of course, I meant W70!
Old 14th May 2020, 09:05 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

- Hello, Thanks, yes I plan on first just replacing the original parts with the same values, and of coarse replacing the 4 L-Pads too... and then after living with it for a few days to get a good idea of the sound, then change it out for the new crossover to see if it makes a significant difference or not.

- one thing I'm taking in to account is that the Wharfedale W70 in it four variations is not nearly as an endangered species as the much more expensive SFB-3's are, there are a lot more of them around than there is of that top of the line model.

Best Regards,
Dean --------------

-- PS. I found a second modernized Crossover for the W70 - I'll put it in the next post, I have some medical stuff I have to do today -- I also have some more Ideas on some other Modifications I want to try on the W70 as well -------- Thanks, guys!
Old 15th May 2020, 07:43 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

- Sorry for the commercial break ... Here is the second crossover ... it looks very close to the other one as far as the number of parts , but it looks like each part value is just a little different.

http://www.cyberbilly.com/chicken/W70039.jpg
Old 15th May 2020, 08:56 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

- this is better, forgot how to attach images - this is the 2nd crossover

W70039 - the other new Crossover.jpg
Old 15th May 2020, 01:16 PM   #19
Topping is offline Topping  United States
diyAudio Member

of all those questions wow , technicly all that matters yes, some far less than others.

Last edited by Topping; 15th May 2020 at 01:32 PM.
Old 15th May 2020, 07:44 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

- Anyone have an opinion on which which crossover is the one they would try - is there to tell from the Thiele- Small Parameters which would be best? I'm guessing that the the difference is at what point each driver is crossed over at is the difference - it doesn't appear to this Newbie that much difference in the basic design - as in 1st, 2nd , 3rd order -- that part seems the same .

Crossovers and which Inductor is right?Hide this!Advertise here!