Recommended Super Tweeter for 206E Horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got a few dollars I wasn't expecting yesterday and I decided that in addition to the Tim Forman's Voigt Pipe, I want to tackle the Fostex 206E back-loaded horn (designs on Madisound's website).The plans indicate that the Fostex T90A is recommended as a super tweeter, but the thing is $150 a pop! I mean, I only got a few dollars here, OK?I'd like to know if anyone has any other suggestions on a super tweeter that would reasonably mimic the performance on the T90A, but for less money. I know, I know... you get what you pay for, but in the spirit of DIY surely there's some skinflints out there who can recommend another super tweeter that will do the job reasonably well and not cause me to get a rolling pin in the head from Mrs. Annan.Suggestions?Kofi

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
If you can find any of the Radio Shack pod tweeters, you can junk the case & the elco cap -- they are a gourgeous spun aluminum horn sourced fron Foster (parent of Fostex)...

There is also a Foster sourced plastic horn that is rated efficient enuff... i've only heard the older , less efficient alnicos, those are quite excellent.

Neither of these show up at radioshack.com, the 2nd one is listed at radioshack.ca

http://www.radioshack.ca/estore/Pro...category=Raw+Speakers+Acc.&catalog=RadioShack

dave

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
On the off chance that the humor has escaped you, the
F17H will happily sit on top of the 206, and does not
require a pipe.

I have a pair, and they are very nice at the price, and they
go out to 50 KHz, almost. I usually bring them in with a
single pole network at around 10KHz (1 uF or so).

Uhhh... My cat's name is Mittens...

Product of the American (i.e., U. S.) school system here, boys. One of my brother's choices for a senior High School English class was "Mysteries of the Supernatural". It it really my fault?!?

I am a dumb@$$. Chose accounting instead of engineering.

"On the off chance"-- thanks for the opportunity to save face, Mr. Pass. My mom used to do that for me.

Stupid Kofi, stupid Kofi, stupid Kofi.... etc.

Kofi

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Kofi Annan said:
Thanks again!Since the horn is not available in the US

Both were available in the US (the pod only in US) so the deal is, if you are lucky, you find them at the local RS in the back hidden away cheap... whenever you walk by an RS it makes sense to drop in and ask... 1354s, 1197s, pod tweeters, 1022s, those plastic foster horns...

Tim scored me 10 pr of the now discontinued RS Alps pots by just visiting the RSs within spitting distance. (Considered the best 100k pot you can get short of spending $25 or more)

dave

Attachments

• horntweeter.jpg
    horntweeter.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 178
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.