50x50 MEH testbox (snail pace project)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nice work, an exciting stage!

Speaking of sanding I have been doing a fair bit of it practicing finishing on small furniture projects and just switched to Mirka abrasives. Wow, what a difference, super recomended if you wind up needing more. I found some cheap in the UK from Dr Abrasiveson ebay :)

Hi Kipman,

I decided to go with a 2 way 'midtop' and use a pair of 15's below crossed around 250Hz. A bit later on I tried the 2 way on top of my 80Hz midbass horns and decided to go with that.(I couldn't bring myself to sell them after the work I put into building them :D) The pic shows the MEH sitting on top of the midbass horn enclosure. I have size matched so it looks like a matching design to the midbass horn.

The midbass horns are a tiny bit more than 1/4 wavelength rule but they work well. (well enough for my old ears anyhow)

Cheers,
Rob.

Last edited:
Nice work, an exciting stage!

Speaking of sanding I have been doing a fair bit of it practicing finishing on small furniture projects and just switched to Mirka abrasives. Wow, what a difference, super recomended if you wind up needing more. I found some cheap in the UK from Dr Abrasiveson ebay :)

Thanks Graham,

I usually buy Norton abrasives when I'm flush,(at the moment it's the unbranded ebay specials :D) I'll have a look at the Mirka stuff.

Rob.

So to continue the snail pace project I have painted the cabs, done some initial outside measurements and moved them into my room so that I can concentrate on the midbass / midrange crossover. (the midbass measures really different outside due to it relying on floor / room reinforcement. Makes it difficult to setup outside.

The midrange / tweeter crossover point is pretty much dialled in, just midbass /midrange xo needs work. Sub is just a single ported 15" fane in the wrong place at the moment (need to build some boxes for my lab12's to do multiple subs next)

Attachments

• 20200907_225851_resized.jpg
    20200907_225851_resized.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 117
That looks very nice Rob, beautiful job !
Some day you guys are gonna shame me out of puttin duratex on everything Lol

fwiw, i do xover/tuning work outside, and just let the chips fall where they may inside.
Knocking down room modes is about the only electrical room tuning i believe in...

just saw response...looking great !

Thanks Mark,

I usually do all my setup outside but the midbass horn starts rolling off at 150Hz when raised up in the air with no floor / wall reinforcement. Groundplane measurements show it is really flat in its passband so I can rely on it being ok as long as it measures flat through the xo in room (if that makes sense ?) It's a bit like trying to measure a corner horn outside, no corners will skew the measurement..

As long as I get close to the Harman target curve with a smooth phase curve I'm happy enough :D

Cheers,
Rob.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.