50x50 MEH testbox (snail pace project)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've repaired the throat, decided to try and lower the mid front chamber volumes while the baffle plate was off and the router could get to the horn walls.

I've reduced the wall thickness to 12mm and lost the large gasket / spacer. Routed a clearance slot for excursion.

Waiting for filler to set and will measure tomorrow.

Am going to cut through the whole horn mouth end after to test the original Tom D style throat to see how / if the measurements change.

Attachments

• route.jpg
    route.jpg
    983.6 KB · Views: 262
smaller chamber mids have a bit more top end response, but also now have a spike at 2.2k

smoothing the tweeter out with filler brought up the low end a bit. Am about to shorten the horn a bit to try the SH50 style throat.

Attachments

• midscompare.jpg
    midscompare.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 244
  • tweetercompare.jpg
    tweetercompare.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 238
I've reduced the length by 8mm which makes the mouth of the horn 1" square instead of 0.7" square.

A little filler in the corners to smooth the transition. (using a 5mm thick aluminium plate baffle)

The TD style has a bigger dip around 5k but a little more around 1k.

The mids being closer to the throat shows the cancellation notch move closer to 2k. Tiny bit more output at 1.5k

Not much between them. I'll probably go with the smoothest response for the final builds. (Bwaslo style throat)

Attachments

• tomd vs bwaslo.jpg
    tomd vs bwaslo.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 231
  • tdmidvsbwaslo.jpg
    tdmidvsbwaslo.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 224
I've been modelling lots of 10's and 12's for the bass drivers. It suddenly occurred to me that I have my old Labhorn drivers sitting on the shelf. (was planning to use them for a multiple sub setup but they model ok with a 20 litre sealed rear chamber)

Hopefully will have them attached and ready to measure by next weekend.

Eminence Lab12

Attachments

• labssyns.jpg
    labssyns.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 64
Finally got round to shoehorning the lab12s onto this horn. The drivers are way to heavy to use tbh but with all this covid business I can't be buying stuff on a whim to try.....

The pair of them were lacking in sensitivity badly and maxed out a 200w amp channel in my garden without sounding loud.(I did have a bit of EQ to flatten to ~50Hz, and to be fair the original synergy is ported whereas this was a sealed 4th order tap into the horn.( Too much velocity in the entry port.)

Not really a success :D

A couple of pics of the drivers / rear chambers on the horn and a plot of sim versus measurement.

Pretty sure my final build is going to be a large 60x40 2way sitting on top of a double 15 cab, crossed around 250Hz. Possibly using 4 celestions per horn rather than 2. (Should lower distortion / allow a little eq at the bottom end if needed)

Rob.

Attachments

• lab12spacer.jpg
    lab12spacer.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 92
  • lab12box.jpg
    lab12box.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 89
  • lab12vssim.jpg
    lab12vssim.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 89
Thanks Graham,

This is the only 50x50 horn I've heard so maybe I'm not the best person to be giving advice....

The horn is really directional which I've found made blending to my midbass horns in my front room a lot more work. (even though they measure flat at listening they sound really sharp. the midbass needs to come up quite a lot to start sounding natural)

I've used quite a few 90x40 and 60x40 horns over the years (xo'd between 800 and 1300Hz) and they have been a lot easier to get sounding 'right'.

So I've decided to go for a slightly wider horizontal pattern. Also, and this is a bit sad but I really don't like the look of the square horns and the rectangular shape is more to my liking :D (I'm hoping to end up with something nodding towards the JBL D66700, but a lot more 'industrial' :D )

Cheers,
Rob

Full sweep in the garden this evening with a very quick eq/xo set up (no delays)
I ran out of time as I needed to get my steak on the BBQ .....

Attachments

• full sweep.jpg
    full sweep.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Nice work man, I'd love to see your measuring situation. I get what you mean re aesthetics, I find that as horns are so much larger the over bearing look of them needs to be considered (in my limited experience and adventures in WAF).

Hope youre steak was good, we really are enjoying perfect building weather atm.

Hi Graham,

Steak was good thanks :D

Nothing special about my measurement setup : Umik 1 with REW..

I've had behringer ecm8000 with separate preamps before and tbh for me at least they are a chore to setup. With the umik it really is plug and play.

I just put the speaker up on a high table and use a cheap mic stand to place the mic at the right height and 1 meter away.

Got the initial flares glued up tonight for the 60x40's. Takes up a lot of time building these things. Got home from work at 5.30, had some food and finished up around 8.30 (had to cut the ports for the mids before assembling) Henry Weston popped by to give me some help...

Cheers,
Rob

Attachments

• progress.jpg
    progress.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:
Flares filled and sanded, nearly ready for paint. Still have to buy mdf to do the enclosing boxes.

Tested the mids / tweet on one today. Mids are smoother than the 50x50 test box. I'm assuming it's because the port is closer to the middle of each driver.

Less resonant spikes above cutoff too. :happy1:

Pics are mids raw response, then with a couple of PEQ's and slopes each side to lose the hash / help excursion at bottom end.

Attachments

• newmids.jpg
    newmids.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 98
  • witheq.jpg
    witheq.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 86
Hi Graham,

I'm only about 30 miles north of you and it's been pretty still and muggy up here. Bit of rain this morning so went for a walk...

Wanted to go with a dark cherry / black on the horn flares but covid has got us down to one income at the moment so am using some dark metallic grey 2K for the flares. (Its sitting in my garage doing nothing...) Don't laugh but I'm going to do the outside of the boxes in walnut effect fablon (sticky backed plastic) :D I've done it before with a coat of varnish and it looks ok. Again, if these were normal times I'd buy walnut veneer...

Usually I just blast my projects with satin black so the above is a bit posh for me :D

Cheers,
Rob.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.