3"-75mm-apex diameter wave guide for SS 10FF

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Thank you Joseph Crow for chiming in.

I will have a look at it. I rarely look at this brand because too much expensive for me. They have an excelent reputation with their sandwich foam core cones a la Focal. I remember now they are known to have a light sound signature that may marry well with the ScanSpeak 10F. I pre planed a Faital 15PR400 or the best on paper Faital 15HF250 for the XO... Some say the PR has more details, others say the HF has better low end and lower VAS ut less details. Also I fear about the match : the Faital 15PR400 is said to be on the smooth side of the paper signature though full of details for a PA driver ! We can source them at less than 200 euros in Europe where I'm based... and my monney is well...low (jobless, though some harded saved monney but very small for pleasure)

I know you are on high efficienty speakers with horns with much spl needs than I plan. Do you think the Eton is doable in an home environment. Is 112 db - 9.5 dB = 102.5 db for 3 meters listening position and peak is enough please ?

Hard to know the headroom between the average listening level and dynamic peaks in most of the digital recordings. I assume my average listening spl volume is near 75/80 db... but what is making the music life is these transcients one calls Dynamic (difference between the lowest and the highest spl in an instant = short windows time = around 0.3 second attacks with the fastest unpluged instruments from an orchestra ?

It's hard to find a 12" that checks off all the boxes. Most modern 12" drivers are far too low sensitivity to be used with horns. The Eton is reasonable at 93dB. Scanespeak makes a 95dB unit but it's twice the price. I'm sure it's fantastic. If anybody knows of other affordable 12" woofers with the following specs please chime in...

>93dB sensitivity
<150 Liter VAS
<35Hz FS

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Hello Joseph,

Well I'm going slowly with the horn soft learning step. On the driver side, I'm sure Eton are fantastics, always had good press in the lows and mid application. Maybe a little like the Aerogel sound from Audax while very different making and philosophy. Not sure though their paper equal Audax's though with the Eton "basic Orchestra line"... I just don't know ! The cone profil of the Eton being a little like the revelators with the "cuts" is certainly good.
32 hz is more than enough for a 12" imho in domestic living room. Thanks for the nice calcul & help. About the 750 hz break ups, I'm not confident with the Eton spl curves, often too flat to be true... nore I'm totally confident with the Faitals I have planned also in 15" - the 15FH250 is circa 100 euros less expensive than the Eton... But it's not a guaranty of good sound than th Faital : as I said, a lot praise for the 15PR400 which is linear untill the 800 hz needed for the SS10F/horned... The Eton Orchestra though if having the sound signature near the 3 layers cones of the big brother line may sound nearer to the ScanSpeak... But hard to say without buying them all (big no-no for me, the wallet should have the last word )

The Eton with 103 db max at 3 meters is on the hifi side... but that's also true dynamic rarely goes more than 10 db briefly above the average level ! Being more 80 db than 90 db, two scenari are ok ! Just forgett some rare classics that needs more. A good plus for the Eton is also it's easier to drive : the Faitals are 600W and 400W, I will be afraid about amp clipping with the classic 100W SS amps perhaps or at least not being powerfull enough on trancients ?!

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
The Eton 12" Orchestra T&S is a hybrid between the two 15" Faitals.

It winns both on the Fs 32 hz vs 35 hz for the F. 15pr400 & 40 hz for the 15FH250.

But it you look at the curves the Eton is rolling off rapidly under 100 hz vs the Faitals. The Eton is indeed a 12".
The Vas of the Faital 15pr400 is a nightmare for women. Eton Orchestra and Faital 15FH250 has a nicer 130 l. The rest of the T&S are nearly similar between the Eton & the 15pr400... but the Faital is a 15"... that means I assume more breakups the cone being larger at iso weight than the Eton. Eton was smart to sacrifice a little efficienty to have a lower Fs !

Well that's on the paper... how do they sound in reality is a mystery looking just the datasheets for me... I'm not too much worried between the Fs of the Eton and the higher Fs of the Faital 15HF250... the last is permiting a nice diving curve towards the upper way, so bass will be subjectvly there (and I have to admit I know nothing yet about the room gain I have...)

No the only thing I could be worry about is the level of micro dynamic and details of the Faitals Vs the Eton (I see Eton winner, but who knows...)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.