X-Statik is this a good buy @ $399. Pair kit ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I seen this today on YouTube advertised by GR research

YouTube

It will be my first open baffle build I’ve been curious about one and for the price as a starter kit it seem too good to pass up. My last speaker I built was the BK 20 Fostek package kit I built for my ACA. That was kind of complex folded horn speaker to build took about 100 hours from start to finish.

The X-Statik looks like a simple easy inexpensive build minimum woodworking skill easy finishing. I keep having to put off my alpha J build but I was thinking of using the speakers with the Alpha J.

I used the search tool bar to see if I could find a thread on “ X-Statik “ nothing turned up. Does this mean I use the wrong search term ? Or the speaker wasn’t good enough to make it on DIY Audio Forms ?.

Anybody with experience please chime in and tell me what I’m in for when I complete this project will it be a keeper or give away as a gift ?.

I've been considering the X-Statik as well. It has received very good reviews and I think it would be an enjoyable speaker to have.

However, please note that it is a hybrid and not a full open baffle speaker.. The top MTM is OB, but the lower section with the dual woofers is a sealed enclosure.

@ Andersonix I have no idea about the Twitter reading reviews apparently it is not overly bright. As for the Alpha J it will be my first Alpha J build I do not know if it’s a good pairing but it gives me something to play with since it’ll be my second floor sanding speaker I have built from a kit. I assume if I ended up not liking the tweeter I could always ask Danny at GR research what a alternative Twitter would be if I was looking for a certain sound to change in any direction.

@ classicalfans. Yes I am aware it’s a hybrid OB. Only the mid range in tweeter my room is not large 12‘ x 18‘ so I should be able to take them 3 feet off the back wall. Some reviews saying a smallish room subs may not be necessary but if they are I’ll just build a kit maybe Danny’s servos 12 inch. It’s all about the experimentation and discovering new things.

Looking at just the components on the crossovers excluding the drivers would not even be able to purchase the discrete components on the crossovers for $399. Wood working I have no problem with. Applying any kind of finish from hand rubbed French finish, Lacquer, catalyzed clears or solid colors I used to be a painter in automotive.

I did it they are coming but they got lost by UPS still searching

I've poked around a bit, and those drivers look smooth and capable despite being 'Peerless of India,' and I think it's almost a no-brainer at $400! Do it!
I did it they are coming but they got lost by UPS still searching

I think I regret not buying the center channel the X-voice I may purchase that after building the two Towers and if I really like them and get them to perform in my room. Then I will order the center channel.

Just like building amplifiers and preamp it gets addictive and you can’t stop the same thing goes with speakers especially when you have woodworking skills all the tools and all your paint spray equipment with experience.

Already thinking of what walls I can tear out. Plans on removing the ceiling and several walls to have a room large enough for the large obis 6 1/2 feet tall with the three OB design subwoofers.

X-Statik kit has arrived

if you do build these, please report back your feelings/opinion as i am also interested in this (hybrid)design.
good luck

gaz

GR Research speaker kit has arrived. As you can see from my photo looking at the crossover in my hand for a size comparison the heft of the amount of copper I’ve definitely never felt anything like this in one of the big box stores mass volume speakers. Definitely blows away the KEF, Elac Uni-Fi, Polk audio, Sony, Pioneer, JBL, Klipsch any of the floor standing mass produced big box store speakers crossovers. If you’re one of those guys who’s taking apart your friends and your neighbors and family member speakers to see what was inside or do insulation and sound deadening material upgrades right away you will know you have a different animal in your hand when you’re holding this crossover in your hand.
If you have experience and familiar with ordering parts from Mauser or Digikey you will know on these crossovers you probably could not buy just these components for $399. Then you have the 10 drivers I came nicely packed and protected. Even the brass spikes to mount in the bottom of your cabinet and all the wiring with instructions that are very clear and easy to follow to wire up and construct your speaker.

Can’t wait to get this project finished but it will take a long time.

Attachments

• 7BFF8E65-3A07-44F1-AF5B-81174CB81E49.jpg
    7BFF8E65-3A07-44F1-AF5B-81174CB81E49.jpg
    994.7 KB · Views: 524
@thermal looks impressive !! looks like you got a good deal. is the cross over bi-wireable ??
so you have to now get the ply and make the cabinets. i'm hoping you'll continue to post updates of your progress.

take care my american friend, and good luck with the build.

gaz

Last edited:
What are your thoughts on the appearance of your cabinets, Thermal?

Cabinets can be made out of anything you want as long as it’s acoustically compatible. It’s easy to veneer with any kind of wood of your choice. You can paint it a solid color or a stain. As were clear as you could use flat or eggshell or high-gloss or used to spray cars Professionally with automotive finish so that’s what I would use. As for using veneers it’s very easy not difficult at all so you can purchase any kind of exotic wood that you wish to use. And if you don’t like the square shape of the lower base cabinet as long as you keep the internal volume the same and roughly the shape you can change the external shape and size to your desire even making it fancy or rounded or kind of like a cello.

As for the look I think I can get used to it. Being raised on box speakers that are nothing more than a stand upright shoebox or a square.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
GR Research speaker kit has arrived. As you can see from my photo looking at the crossover in my hand for a size comparison the heft of the amount of copper I’ve definitely never felt anything like this in one of the big box stores mass volume speakers. Definitely blows away the KEF, Elac Uni-Fi, Polk audio, Sony, Pioneer, JBL, Klipsch any of the floor standing mass produced big box store speakers crossovers. If you’re one of those guys who’s taking apart your friends and your neighbors and family member speakers to see what was inside or do insulation and sound deadening material upgrades right away you will know you have a different animal in your hand when you’re holding this crossover in your hand.
If you have experience and familiar with ordering parts from Mauser or Digikey you will know on these crossovers you probably could not buy just these components for $399. Then you have the 10 drivers I came nicely packed and protected. Even the brass spikes to mount in the bottom of your cabinet and all the wiring with instructions that are very clear and easy to follow to wire up and construct your speaker.

Can’t wait to get this project finished but it will take a long time.

This was the same reaction I had when I received the XO’s for the XL-S. They must have weighed 2 lbs each in copper. This one has got to be like 4lbs of XO. That’s a lot of gear for $400. Good luck on the build. I’m sure it’s going to sound great.

@themal
i like the look of them. does it say in the instructions that you can alter the shape ? i personally favour 1" structural ply for cabinets.

I would not alter the thickness from what I read about acoustics and mass and vibration I would not go thinner than their minimum what is advertised. I would not make the baffle any wider.
If I wanted to put some extra time into changing the shape it would only be the square box down below. But without altering any of the internal dimensions because the sound reflections from inside the crossovers were voiced to that Internal dimensional box.

I think I will go with that front baffle at 2 inches thick I’ve seen people say 2 inches thick other say 1 7/8 thick which is almost 2 inches

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.