Slim tower with dual Excel W12CY001

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I decided to use bunch of excels I have in the basement, but need to please wife too, so I'd like to try a slim tower, TQWT. Did some rough simulations here:

HiFi Loudspeaker Design

and made some box sketch but I am open for other suggestions:)

Attachments

• 810C9CB6-9C8B-47A3-8AF5-D97D03C298A2.jpeg
    810C9CB6-9C8B-47A3-8AF5-D97D03C298A2.jpeg
    59 KB · Views: 280
That might be a bit on the narrow side. Youdon’t want the inside sides causing too much early reflections.

And if that is a vent at the bottom it is an ML-TL not a BR and will need to be simmed differently.

dave

I have for a long time wondered about this, when will the side walls be to close to the driver and what sonic impact will it create?

How does the back side radiation pattern look like for a woofer?

I would propose an alternate solution, a bookshelf vented enclosure type on a stand. Firstly you need not much of internal volume (12 litres) for both of the midwoofers to satisfy good engineering practice, and secondly placement circumstances could change, leaving you less options having floorstanding cabinets.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Do note that the D’Apollito made a serious mistake when he designed Thor and his TL does not go very low — given the measures seen, i expect that Lojzek’s 12litres could go lower (i’d have to check his sims, it is small for 2 x 5” (?) drivers. But i have stuffed 2 Silver Flute W14 into a similar size box with really good results (we get an extra 1/2 octave or so with the same drivers in an ML-TL.

We generated 3 alternate versions of the box that worked, such as the ones Troy built.

Clarity on Seas Thor Kit

A TL needs to be modeled and the best software for that is NLA or tricky to make work (no longer supported) leaving HornResp (but i see few sims that take advantage of damping so most of the graphs seen are hard to interpret).

Most often what happen sis one of the wizards who use the software generate a sim. They have done so many, o often they can very quickly dial something in.

We ran across the issue with our millSize enclosure, a couple cm was sufficient to clean things up a lot. The symptom is a boxing/cupped colouration of voice and other lower midrange.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.