Quarantine + spare MDF = Help me pick a design to build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have some sweet MDF taking up space in my garage. I have some nice 1-1/8" panels that are 12" x 48" and plenty of 3/4".

Since I'm stuck at home anyway, I'm looking to fab some nice things. I don't need speakers. Not even sure if I'll get my money back if I sell them, but ever since I built my own C-notes last year I kinda have the bug.

Possibilities:
- Powered studio monitors since I am setting up a home studio
- tapped horn to stash under the couch for vibrating my butt when I watch a movie. My existing sub is surprisingly good down to about 25hz, so maybe something tuned to 20-ish to pick up some sub-sonic stuff?
- live performance monitors (powered or not)
- live performance loudspeakers for small venues (think like StagePass size, easily portable for jazz duo in a restaurant or guitar in a coffee shop.)

And by the way, Nigel... I grew up in Carlisle (Pennsylvania. Just a little swim from you)

The USA settlers did take a lot of UK place names with them.
New York (York) and Washington DC (Washington, Tyne and Wear) etc etc.

Just to stay on topic, here is part of my last build. A W bin.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Certainly this virus is a game changer, we are in lock down at the moment and it may go on for months.

I am into a new design for an O.B that's half finished but have not enough parts for the crossover unless I cannibalized another design. But then, one has to keep occuppied or one will go nuts in this situation.

On an odd shaped baffle I have a Faital Pro 15PR400-8 as an upper bass driver crossing over to a B&C 8PS21-8 8"midrange at 260c/s then to a Wavecor TW030WA11 at 1500c/s. There are a few notch filters thown in there too around 2KC/s to clean up some peaks.

The lowest bass frequencies will be with a sealed powered subwoofer/s. I have missed the pressure wave of explosions presented in home theatre.

C.M

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.