Inexpensive two way plate amps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm a big fan of active studio monitors and I'd like to experiment with some of my own without totally blowing out the bank. I might eventually work my way up to the Hypex DSP plates, but I'm thinking something similar to the amps in my Adams (20W/50W) or JBL LSRs or something along those lines. Probably asking too much to get DSP in there too, but for experimentation purposes I'm probably happy to just run them off an external MiniDSP.

I know I can get any number of cheap rackmounts, but I'd like to stick to plates. Suggestions?

P.S. Not totally opposed to standalone modules that I have to assemble on a back plate myself, as long as there's good info on the wiring.

I have two amps with a power supply for each. They each are a two channel with a high and low side. With built in crossover so it can be used in a two way speaker cab
These are the type that you would mount either inside or outside the speaker cab
I can post pics of them later if you thing this is something you could work with

Ebay kits or assembled

Search "3886 Amplifier" on Ebay. Also look on Ebay for switching power supplies to go with it. Two of them can be connected to provide +/- supplies needed for 3886 amplifiers. Each of the small blue boards are a single channel LM3886 amplifier that was from a kit for about $7 each. The switching power supplies were around $14 each. The capacitor board was total overkill. I had the heat sink panel. You can pay more for amplifier kits that include heat sinks. I think the amplifier seller was Douk mall. 24V4A/5V1A Dual Switch Power Supply Board Module 120W Power Module Isolated Dual 6256299544587 | eBay

Attachments

• IMG_20190807_130127663.jpg
    IMG_20190807_130127663.jpg
    987.9 KB · Views: 218
More pics
I’d like to get 120 plus shipping
You can even add a volume pot to the board if you like
I don’t know what the crossover setting is set at, but you can go to the website or I send a printed sheet that explains how you can change the crossover points. I think it set at 1900 or 2000 right now
IMG_6366.jpg
IMG_6367.jpg
IMG_6368.jpg
IMG_6369.jpg
IMG_6370.jpg
IMG_6371.jpg
IMG_6372.jpg
IMG_6376.jpg

Last edited:
Here’s the diy two way amp boards that I have with power supply’s. They both have a clip led for the woofer and tweeter. And use nichicon capacitors throughout the whole board.
I believe what you have pictured are the Xkitz bi-amplifiers, which for some strange reason are no longer present on their website. I always thought that these were excellent quality for the money, and, as you said, could be adapted for any crossover frequency desired. I wonder why they stopped making them?????

Like many other companies, they have to make something different to stay in the game. It took me for ever to find the paper work on them. I’m not sure if I want to use them on a set of diy two way towers I have or just use my electric crossover and crown amps
So I am thinking that if someone else could use them, why not just sell them as I have so many amps anyway
IMG_4851.jpg
IMG_4283.jpg
IMG_4280.jpg
IMG_4267.jpg
IMG_4266.jpg

I believe what you have pictured are the Xkitz bi-amplifiers, which for some strange reason are no longer present on their website. I always thought that these were excellent quality for the money, and, as you said, could be adapted for any crossover frequency desired. I wonder why they stopped making them?????

Not to sure why they stopped,but I know that they have some great parts on the boards

Any objection to using straight amps and software crossover?
I've tried that to good effect but was always worried about the software screwing up and blowing the a*se end out of the tweeters. Also gives poor flexibility in using that PC to drive other audio devices or driving the speakers with other sources independent of the PC.

Standalone hardware like MiniDSPs are a better solution imo.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.