Directivity Index of a Driver by it's Size

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
The polar maps linked are indeed the directivity behavior you can expect from 6,5" to 15".
These are approximation ( they are simulation based upon SD ( membrane surface) ).

Directivity index is used to determine a horn usually, that said you could derive it from the polar map of direct radiating driver if you want. Take a look at the thread linked, there is a link to a Jbl 2380a horn. In the datasheet you'll see directivity index. But it'll not be the usual way to plot direct radiating drivers for what i've seen.

Last edited:
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Thanks for the link. I may have been using the term directivity index improperly. Maybe it's just directivity?
I think DI is more appropriate when you're talking about a specific directivity, and just directivity when speaking casually. And a plot of DI vs say, the DI or a figure of DI whether talking about a single frequency or a range.

Edge overlays. Spl drop is exaggerated because with mic off-axis also distance gets longer. Mic offset 0, 250, 500 and 1000mm
Baffle diffraction changes too off-axis!

Attachments

• offaxis 28 80 280mm -vert.jpg
    offaxis 28 80 280mm -vert.jpg
    534.7 KB · Views: 143
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.