SB15NRXC30-8 or SB17NBAC35-4 in 10 liters?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2018
Paid Member
The 2 above drivers as modeled by winisd actually shows better LF extension from the smaller driver. The SB17 would go quite a but lower but needs 16 litres or so.
I have a WAF constraint and 10 litres is my maximum.

Would the SB17 subjectively give me more 'punch' , despite what the numbers say.

I remember a quote from Zaph or Troels maybe who said you cant substitute SD and would always go for a bigger driver where possible...(was referring to 5.25")

These drivers will be used as low as they can, although I can filter out the lower octaves when listening through the Denon AVR, critical listening is straight from dac into DCG3>power amp>passive speakers

Depends on what you mean by "punch". The larger driver in the small box may give more "kick" in the upper bass and less "punch" down low. But even possible that the smaller driver would have too much bass if room-gain is considered and the larger driver (in smaller box) fits better for a balanced sound. Depends on your room acoustics, expectations and taste.
The larger driver have more Sd, more xmax, more sensitivity and have more electrical power handling, so the overall output likely would be higher.

Last edited:
My latest build is a 3 way with a 5" Wavecor woofer, it's in 20L, but has plenty of punch, I think most modern recordings are mixed that way. Even when I switch in my 10" subs, I get a bit more solidity & realism, but no more punch.
You can tune the box for a bit more punch by tuning a couple of Hz above what would give max LF extension, you should get a small hump of up to a couple of dB, don't over-do it though, or the dreaded 'one-note-bass' will raise its head....
If you model your drivers in Unibox, it has a feature where you can save & compare graphs

I'd use the SB15 and if you don't have the drivers, have a look at the SB15NBAC as it's a better performer even though the SPL may be lower.

I've played with under size 12 litre boxes with the SB17MFC and MW16P and not ideal. A SB15MFC in 8 litres gave better bottom end performance and a more balanced presentation. In other words you are better using a driver more suited to the volume you are after.

PeteMcK's comment on the port tuning is spot on for smaller drivers and the hump makes the speaker sound more balanced. Bagby made some comments on this and Troels has a good article on vent tuning and generally I use a port length around 0.7 x the calculated size which is similar to his thoughts.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Thanks for all the insightful replies and I shall stick with the SB15NRXC30-8 that I have here. Makes sense. I went for thr 8ohm just to give me some lee way should I end up with too low an overall system impedance if starting with a 4ohm.

Playing with the tuning, 30Hz versus 50Hz, would you go for the 30Hz flatter curve or add the small rise at 100Hz or so from the 50 tune but loose some output from there down.? I guess this can be trialled with port lengths.

Attachments

• 20200406_071837.jpg
    20200406_071837.jpg
    886.6 KB · Views: 244
30hz is easily done with a 5" driver, just choose a woofer with characteristics that suits the box and tuning to the room gain

if you want to play loud choose a bigger driver, and choose a woofer with characteristics that suits the box and tuning to the room gain

30hz is easily done with a 5" driver, just choose a woofer with characteristics that suits the box and tuning to the room gain

if you want to play loud choose a bigger driver, and choose a woofer with characteristics that suits the box and tuning to the room gain

Virtually any driver will do 30Hz. Playing modestly loud on 30Hz however is too much to ask for with normal 5" drivers. Don't forget our ears do have reduced sensitivity on the lows and only playing relatively loud will reveal any sound at all. The concept of 'room gain' at such frequencies is nonsense, response to low frequencies is totally dependent on the room modal distribution (standing waves).
Secondly, drivers have serious distortion issues playing loud, with 5" one likely will hear 60Hz instead of the desired 30. So go for 50 to 60Hz, that alone is a challenge already.

Virtually any driver will do 30Hz. Playing modestly loud on 30Hz however is too much to ask for with normal 5" drivers. Don't forget our ears do have reduced sensitivity on the lows and only playing relatively loud will reveal any sound at all. The concept of 'room gain' at such frequencies is nonsense, response to low frequencies is totally dependent on the room modal distribution (standing waves).
Secondly, drivers have serious distortion issues playing loud, with 5" one likely will hear 60Hz instead of the desired 30. So go for 50 to 60Hz, that alone is a challenge already.

room gain, nonsense? :rolleyes:

and a 5" driver can not play without dist :scratch: i hope none ever will listen to your advice

room gain, nonsense? :rolleyes:

and a 5" driver can not play without dist :scratch: i hope none ever will listen to your advice

Well, give me a physical description of sound propagation that leads to your claimed 'room gain' at low frequencies then. And don't bother trying to lecture me on 4π, 2π or π radiation fields. Those are all true, but in acoustics modal behavior of relative small listening rooms for home audio is dominant by far. That knowledge, in turn, leads (me at least) to other conclusions on the possibilities of 5" drivers than yours. I take into account one has to tame the modal response, e.g. by placement, EQ-ing or multisub-approach, maybe you do not.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.