Exploring Purifi Woofer Speaker Builds

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
xrk971: always interesting to follow your builds. Now that you have played some time with the purify driver. How would you compare it to the Dayton next to it. On some reviews, it seems the purify can do things, that no other bass driver can, for its size. But does it actually better the Dayton ?

It’s very close to the RS225 in performance and cabinet that is 3x larger. However, as the saying goes: “There’s no replacement for displacement!”

The 10F/RS225-8 TL is perhaps one of the best speakers I have ever heard so it’s a tall order to beat it. But the two TLs are very similar in bass and midrange performance. Of course, the PTT6.5 with a dome tweeter in a waveguide has better highs and wide sweet spot. So in that sense, it beats the big RS225 in that sense. But if I put the same tweeter and waveguide on the RS225TL the advantage is probably lost.

Hello xrk971,

I didn't follow this thread a lot, but even just look at the photos and chart posted here, it tempt me to buy a pair of Purifi to play. I am just curious if this woofer integrated with LXmini, will it fit and better performance, as it originally built with a pair of SEAS woofer and a pair of SEAS fullrange and Xover at 700hz

- Hi happy, I am not sure about the fit because I am not that familiar with your LXmini speaker, you would need to go to Purifi Audio and download the Specs on the mid-woofer and compare the measurements with your LXmini to see if it would fit or not... if it doesn't fit you could maybe modify the opening a little for the right fit.
In response to the second part of your question, the sound quality should be much, much better than your current driver, everyone who has heard the New Purify driver says that they have never heard a speaker driver that it has so little distortion... and that it sounds amazing ....

- - If you go one page back to page 42 and look at the post 419, click on the link about the testing of Selah Audio's New Purezza speaker you can read thru the review and testing...

- Here is his brief summary about his subjective listening tests...

ERIN'S
AUDIO
CORNER

- "Bottom Line"

"The Selah Audio Purezza is a very accurate and enjoyable speaker. While the low frequency trend native to the speaker may be a problem to some, it can be resolved by Rick easily from what he says. I simply used an electronic low-shelf filter to resolve this and was on my way (and, thus, my comments below are with this adjustment).

The soundstage is incredible. Focus is top notch. There were no gripes of mine once I made the LF trim correction (before this, the top end sounded a bit hot).

The distortion is at dangerously low levels. What does that even mean?… Well, most of the time distortion is an indicator that the volume is too loud. We hear distortion and we turn it down. With these speakers, I was often in the 95-100dB level (at 11 feet, no less) without having a clue it was that loud.

I have yet to hear a speaker of this size with this level of neutrality. The midrange is so distortion-free that it’s like listening to your music collection with a new set of ears/memory. I have to think that this is pushing the envelope, if not exceeding it, for performance in this size class and cost.

I wholeheartedly recommend the Selah Audio Purezza speakers if they are within your budget."

------------------------

--- you can also google - "Purifi's new speaKer review" ... and go read more reviews of the speaker driver

Best regards, Dean

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hello xrk971,

I didn't follow this thread a lot, but even just look at the photos and chart posted here, it tempt me to buy a pair of Purifi to play. I am just curious if this woofer integrated with LXmini, will it fit and better performance, as it originally built with a pair of SEAS woofer and a pair of SEAS fullrange and Xover at 700hz

If you are asking if the PTT6.5 can be used as the omni woofer in a configuration like the LXmini, yes certainly. It has such a wide bandwidth that it should not be a problem. The TS parameters will require the tube rear chamber and vent to be revised, but that is easy to do. If you paired this with a ScanSpesk 10F as fullrange - it would be perhaps the ultimate modern embodiment of an LXmini. But if course you would be deviating from the plans and can not call it an LXmini anymore.

LXmini-closeup.jpg

Last edited:
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
dimensions,
Take a look at the first image, the source is elongated. A wavelength is shorter than it on the left, but longer on the right. The line offers directivity down to a frequency related to its length. (The visual intensity is a guide only)
number of drivers required,
The second image uses the same source length but it is made up of only two small drivers, one at each end. Due to the space between them, their ability to work at higher frequencies is compromised.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2020-09-17 12-24-08.png
    Screenshot from 2020-09-17 12-24-08.png
    174.4 KB · Views: 651
  • Screenshot from 2020-09-17 12-26-46.png
    Screenshot from 2020-09-17 12-26-46.png
    76.5 KB · Views: 661
The LX Mini woofer is sealed. It's temping to think a different woofer would be better but it's no slam dunk that it would be. The LX Mini is a very well thought out design. I think the bigger interest (for me at least) would be to try it with 4 channels (one per driver with the LX Mini design) of the Purifi amplifiers.

Take a look at the first image, the source is elongated. A wavelength is shorter than it on the left, but longer on the right. The line offers directivity down to a frequency related to its length.
The second image uses the same source length but it is made up of only two small drivers, one at each end. Due to the space between them, their ability to work at higher frequencies is compromised.

Thanks for the reply!

I am thinking to use these with Pro-Ribbons which crossover at 1Khz.
So I would only use the Purifi's in the 30-1000hz range.
Would the effect you mention still affect the sound quality?

I have been using the Pro-Ribbons before, but the speakers are made with [18 Sound] woofer drivers that are very noticeably beneath the phenomenal sound quality of the isoplanar. That's why I have been waiting for something to replace them with that has the specs of the Purifi, albeit its db is lower at 88.5 instead of 95db. By rough calculation the Column Line-Array for this project would need as many as 12 x PTT6.5W04 in a vertical row.

One question, I have for anyone out there - should the Purifi's be separated from each other with their own Passive Radiator L-R, or would they work better in one enclosure, or in groups of say 4?

- the round cross section does have advantages, but I did a quick google and there are dozens of Omni and semi- Omni speaker designs with a bottom half that aren't a column too, so it does come down to what will work with the Mid-Woofer of your choice and what you want it to look like.

- Hi xrk, are you over the honeymoon period with the Purifi driver? , seems like you are feeling like the 10F/RS225-8 is just as good... so would you buy them again?

It’s very close to the RS225 in performance and cabinet that is 3x larger. However, as the saying goes: “There’s no replacement for displacement!”

The 10F/RS225-8 TL is perhaps one of the best speakers I have ever heard so it’s a tall order to beat it. But the two TLs are very similar in bass and midrange performance. Of course, the PTT6.5 with a dome tweeter in a waveguide has better highs and wide sweet spot. So in that sense, it beats the big RS225 in that sense. But if I put the same tweeter and waveguide on the RS225TL the advantage is probably lost.

Would be considering making a new plan for RS28F w/ waveguide + RS225-8 in TL config? That would be dope!

If you are asking if the PTT6.5 can be used as the omni woofer in a configuration like the LXmini, yes certainly. It has such a wide bandwidth that it should not be a problem. The TS parameters will require the tube rear chamber and vent to be revised, but that is easy to do. If you paired this with a ScanSpesk 10F as fullrange - it would be perhaps the ultimate modern embodiment of an LXmini. But if course you would be deviating from the plans and can not call it an LXmini anymore.

Interested...the Purifi woofer would match a 150mm dia pipe quite well. Could also potentially fit the matching passive radiator on the bottom, and support it off the ground with some small legs.

- Hi guys, I don't know if anyone followed up on Juhazi's posting of the Selah Audio Purezza on Pg 42 -post 419, -- the Ribbon Tweeter is a New Patented design from a company called BoZhen New Audio Lab , the Ribbon has some very nice features. It can be crossed over as low as 1,000Hz to 1,500Hz , it's said to be a Very rugged design that can be used in a Pro Audio line source , has very low THD , Its diaphragm structure keeps 'Piston Motion' within the important frequency range(1500~15000Hz), and they say " it has separated voice coil and diaphragm structures that adopt a absolutely unique design that it's totally different from the traditional aluminium ribbon tweeters". It also seems to be priced very well for the quality of the driver- I asked about the prices and a pair of the tweeters would be around $ 200 to $240 dollars.
It makes sense that if Selah Audio is using it in their new top of the line speaker design it probably sounds really good and they must really think it's a pretty great tweeter.

- here is a link to their website -

BZ New Audio Lab

- and to the Tweeters -

BZ Horn Loudspeaker

--- BZ also has a brand New Patented Woofer Design too! The new woofer is square shaped so at first glance it looks like it might operate in a similar manor to the AMT Tweeter design, but it is a New driver concept too. The new woofer driver comes in a few different sizes, but I was looking at the DDQ8-2 I'm guessing it's close to an 8 or 9 inch wide driver that is listed as 27Hz - 1150Hz at ( 3-db )..... and their DDQ10-2 woofer that is 21Hz -1,100Hz at ( -3db ) . The new woofer design is deeper than a normal woofer , basically think of a square - rectangular driver in depth too... and it takes a very unsual port size. But the thing that I think makes it very attractive is that they have a small size in width and height so the front of the speaker could be 10 or 12 with inches wide, and because it is smaller than a comparable woofer that reaches this low it might lend itself to a pretty compact Full Range speaker design.
- So Tweeter of choice, a Purifi 6.5 driver , and one or two of the new square woofers should easily reach 20Hz - maybe flat to 20Hz... and be a very low distortion design.. But I'm not completely sure, someone else with more speaker building knowledge would need to take a look at the design - I sent an email to the speaker manufacturer asking for some more information on prices, and the volume needed for the two largest woofer units, and I'll post that too.

- Here is a picture below of the speaker that BZ designed the BS-3R that shows the general looks of the new drivers - the strange rectangle on the back of the speaker believe it or not is the size of the Port! BZ said that the woofer moves so much air that it has to be that size...

BZ, BS-3R front.jpg

BZ, BS-3R gback.jpg

- here is the link to the woofer information -

BZ DDQ Series New Type Woofer Loudspeakers

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Would be considering making a new plan for RS28F w/ waveguide + RS225-8 in TL config? That would be dope!

Ask for dope and ye shall receive dope... :)

10F/8424 & RS225-8 FAST / WAW Ref Monitor

Schematic compatible with existing PCB for the transient perfect 1st order XO:
attachment.php

Here is the predicted response of the above combo (we will assume the TL does its usual job below 100Hz):
attachment.php

Impedance:
attachment.php

Step Response:
attachment.php

I am surprised by how well this turned out. The XO freq is at 1.5kHz as seen by the deep null when I flip the polarity of the tweeter. For some reason, negative polarity on tweeter causes null.