Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Exploring Purifi Woofer Speaker Builds
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd September 2020, 07:10 AM   #451
stretchneck is offline stretchneck  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretchneck View Post
Interested...the Purifi woofer would match a 150mm dia pipe quite well. Could also potentially fit the matching passive radiator on the bottom, and support it off the ground with some small legs.
Looking at the specs of the original LX Mini driver, Seas L16RN, I'm now wondering if there is much to be gained with the Purifi driver... ?
Old 23rd September 2020, 08:27 AM   #452
kceenav is online now kceenav  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkbail View Post
Awesome! Subbed to the thread! If it turns out okay, I'll make them my next build for sure!
Regarding the bi-polar construction as shown in the drawing: At low frequencies it will work as expected. But at mid frequencies there have to be constructive/destructive interferences between "front fired" sound and soundwaves that originate from the back driver, "wrap" around the enclosure and then also propagate forward.
Old 12th October 2020, 08:41 AM   #453
hyped is offline hyped  Australia
diyAudio Member

The eagles have arrived!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 92610162-928E-4ABB-9C85-521F8A8E34B9.jpg (976.6 KB, 572 views)
Old 12th October 2020, 09:25 AM   #454
stretchneck is offline stretchneck  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thinking XRK has a good idea here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Hi Pelanj,
Yes, it is a special driver unlike anything else I have. Special like the Heil AMT was when first introduced. I wonder how it sounds with a Heil AMT as true 1st order?
Anyone looked into this further?
Old 12th October 2020, 09:06 PM   #455
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

I have not yet... as I have sold my PTT6.5 and RS28F Waveguide TL's to my cabinet maker (he liked them too much to give them back after a loan to audition them). I need to order another set of drivers from Madisound and get a another cabinet made. But can also try it with the Heils once I get another set of drivers in-hand.
Old 12th October 2020, 09:14 PM   #456
Octavia is offline Octavia  United States
diyAudio Member

"he liked them too much to give them back"! You have to love that kind of response.
Old 15th October 2020, 01:55 AM   #457
hallcon83 is offline hallcon83  United States
diyAudio Member

- I found another interesting Tweeter that I thought I'd list just in case some haven't seen it. It's a Ribbon designed as a point Source. Anyone had a listen to it??
Attached Images
File Type: png Raven point source tweeter.png (45.2 KB, 404 views)
Attached Files
File Type: txt RAVEN POINT SOURCE RIBBON.txt (1.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: pdf RavenPointSource.pdf (1.78 MB, 55 views)
Old 15th October 2020, 09:55 AM   #458
jcga is offline jcga  France
diyAudio Member

Well, about the Raven "called" point source, I have yet to see some polar plot in both horizontal et vertical plane...
Old 15th October 2020, 05:30 PM   #459
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the tip on the Raven. It looks interesting. I have a RAAL and a 3d printer does might try something like this. I have tried a deeper tractrix and there was too much destructive interference dips. But a shallower design like this maybe interesting. Although won’t give me the deeper physical setback I was looking for.
Old 15th October 2020, 08:38 PM   #460
Norman Tracy is offline Norman Tracy  United States
diyAudio Member

Oh no, hallcon83 how could you do this to me?

There I was minding my own business enjoying the advent of fall colors and coolness secure in the knowledge that Raven ribbon tweeters had joined the likes of Sony APM square woofers (About the amazing Sony APM-66ES – Sound Oddity – Blog !) categorized as endlessly fascinating HiFi unicorns passed from the realm of mere mortals onto the dream land of the unobtainium. You know, too bad they didn’t make it as a business but at least my HiFi budget is safe from the lusts of my heart.

And now you alert me to the continued availability of Raven ribbon tweeters. Hooray for another Made in USA HiFi company serving the lunatic fringe hanging in there through 2020. I see the pricing is also still OUCH. I only heard a Raven tweeter once, local high-end auto audio shop had the Ebb (Raven’s parent company ORCA used to import Focal drivers that were SOTA in automotive high-end back in the day). I recall it living up to my high expectations. Alas no clue how it would compare to SOTA circa 2020. The engineer designer side of my brain can’t help note I was just quoted $212 each for the new Mundorf AMT U40W1.1. So call it $450 pair landed vs $800 pair for the Raven Point Source. My head says Mundorf, the heart (or wherever audiophile lust is seated) says lets scratch the Raven itch.

Note 1: Acronym SOTA used above signifies State Of The Art.

Note 2: Recounting hearing the Raven Ebb it occurred to me that audition was also the first time I sat down to listen to HiFi and was handed a tablet and told “scroll ‘til you find what you like, tap, and it will play; use that slider to control the volume”.

Exploring Purifi Woofer Speaker BuildsHide this!Advertise here!