Exploring Purifi Woofer Speaker Builds

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Thx. Except for sensibility, I dont see the advantage of this driver compared to other purifi regarding midrange ? Hence for active 3 way midrange, why would someone choose this one more than long stroke ?

Yeah gimme a true mid that plays a smoothly 262Hz to 2.1KHz as the Purifi original 6.5", with HD2 below -50dB, and HD3 below 60dB and stellar IMD like the original Purifi, but with improved dispersion (5" for -3dB at 60 degrees) and with a sensitivity of 95+dB/2.83V.

If anyone can do it, Purifi can!:D

Last edited:
Simple Passive Harsch XO Using PTT6.5 and RS28F in a Waveguide

Basically as described in the plans: line main rear chamber with eggcrate foam and one side of the remaining TL with one side. No foam on the final path to the exit. Add poly fill stuffing from closed end to the first turn. Increase stuffing density to taste. Measure impedance sweep and look for point at which the double peaks straddling bass tuning frequency start to combine together to look like an single “horned owl’s head with two ears”. Adding reticulated fish aquarium filter foam (large pore size) at the terminus can also be used tune the impedance peaks. Use this sparingly as it is very sensitive here. Maybe 1/2in thick at most.

Belated thanks for the information, there's a good chance this will be built, to evaluate vs. the ported box.

Can someone versed in the art explain the benefits of the Al cone here? I might be missing something but can't see it.

My semi-educated guess would be because the market asked for it. Lets be frank and admit that in HiFi we can be rather set in our ways and opinions. Some are in the paper camp. Others want nothing but hard materials, metal, ceramic, diamond. And others are material agnostic. And then one has styling, matt concave cone like the paper or shiney dome center 'dust cap' as featured in new aluminum model.

Purifi Audio is in the business to sell stuff, more models casts their net wider.

I have designed identical drivers with paper composite cones and aluminum cones. There is a difference in the sound and in the distortion. Done with an attention to detail an aluminum cone can sound very good. And yes it is heavier than a paper composite. But not that much heavier. Last comparison was a little over .3 db less efficient. The sound difference was noticeable. Both cones came from a very well regarded manufacturer.

I am waiting for the new Midrange driver from Purify,

Will be used with those driver

Viavawe grt145
Purify midrange 8ohm
18 Sound 10NW650
BMS 18N862

will be a combination af passiv and active crossover

mid and tweeter 2,5khz crossover passiv

mid and 10" active about 200hz

18" active about 80hz

about 30 days from now i get the Purify

will return later

best Bjarne

I am waiting for the new Midrange driver from Purify,

Will be used with those driver

Viavawe grt145
Purify midrange 8ohm
18 Sound 10NW650
BMS 18N862

will be a combination af passiv and active crossover

mid and tweeter 2,5khz crossover passiv

mid and 10" active about 200hz

18" active about 80hz

about 30 days from now i get the Purify

will return later

best Bjarne

How is the price looking for the new Purifi midrange? Circa 3000 DKK?

I am also hoping for a 4 or 5" super high efficiency midrange from them in the future.

I imagine these would sound great… and cost a bomb
Partly because of the cabinet work
(Iirc Joachim founded Audio Physics)

Joachim Gerhard Collection‘s “Surveyor Master" speakers. I don’t know of/ can’t find any information about them on a website. Only on Facebook …

His Choice of tweeters …
I’ve read that the ViaWave ribbon tweeters are excellent. Possibly the best ribbons now available(?)
Thirty years ago I was knocked out by the sound of Apogee dipole ribbon treble. And thought there was a big gap there sound quality was well ahead of the conventional tweeters around then. That I had heard, at least
But with tweeters available in recent years like the best SS, SB, and more recently (sp?) Bliesma - even though ViaWave have improved the almost razor thin vertical dispersion of many ribbons by quite a bit, I think I would still rather stick with one of the better SS, SB etc

Last edited:
Troels has now published his version with Viawave ribbon tweeter

Purifi-6R

purifi-2.jpg

purifi-6r-spl_0.5mtgb_hor-disp_1200.png

Horizontal 0-40 deg

Last edited:
"ASR Directiva Open Source Speaker Review.
The idea came about from a hypothesis: if a speaker design had access to Klippel Near-field scanner, would he be able to design a super speaker?"
With Purifi elements.
ASR Directiva Open Source Speaker Review | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

If they come up with a passive XO, and one was to fork out for dual purifi PRs, I recon that'd be about the pinnacle of 2 way conventional speaker design. Really good results. Caveat being high power required - theres always the iron law. Shame about mounting the amp and DSP on top of the speaker for the measurements though...

Last edited: