Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Exploring Purifi Woofer Speaker Builds
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th September 2020, 11:25 AM   #431
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZestClub View Post
I would only use the Purifi's in the 30-1000hz range.
Would the effect you mention still affect the sound quality?
Yes, it will affect sound in the 30-1000Hz range.
Old 18th September 2020, 01:05 PM   #432
hallcon83 is offline hallcon83  United States
diyAudio Member

- the round cross section does have advantages, but I did a quick google and there are dozens of Omni and semi- Omni speaker designs with a bottom half that aren't a column too, so it does come down to what will work with the Mid-Woofer of your choice and what you want it to look like.

- Hi xrk, are you over the honeymoon period with the Purifi driver? , seems like you are feeling like the 10F/RS225-8 is just as good... so would you buy them again?
Old 18th September 2020, 01:12 PM   #433
bunkbail is offline bunkbail
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Itís very close to the RS225 in performance and cabinet that is 3x larger. However, as the saying goes: ďThereís no replacement for displacement!Ē

The 10F/RS225-8 TL is perhaps one of the best speakers I have ever heard so itís a tall order to beat it. But the two TLs are very similar in bass and midrange performance. Of course, the PTT6.5 with a dome tweeter in a waveguide has better highs and wide sweet spot. So in that sense, it beats the big RS225 in that sense. But if I put the same tweeter and waveguide on the RS225TL the advantage is probably lost.
Would be considering making a new plan for RS28F w/ waveguide + RS225-8 in TL config? That would be dope!
Old 18th September 2020, 02:18 PM   #434
stretchneck is online now stretchneck  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
If you are asking if the PTT6.5 can be used as the omni woofer in a configuration like the LXmini, yes certainly. It has such a wide bandwidth that it should not be a problem. The TS parameters will require the tube rear chamber and vent to be revised, but that is easy to do. If you paired this with a ScanSpesk 10F as fullrange - it would be perhaps the ultimate modern embodiment of an LXmini. But if course you would be deviating from the plans and can not call it an LXmini anymore.
Interested...the Purifi woofer would match a 150mm dia pipe quite well. Could also potentially fit the matching passive radiator on the bottom, and support it off the ground with some small legs.
Old 18th September 2020, 06:26 PM   #435
wilbur-x is offline wilbur-x  Norway
diyAudio Member

10 seconds CAD ;-)
3 tubes TL for LX
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16004534512672529855694631544461.jpg (578.4 KB, 407 views)
Old 19th September 2020, 02:08 AM   #436
diyAudio Member

- Hi guys, I don't know if anyone followed up on Juhazi's posting of the Selah Audio Purezza on Pg 42 -post 419, -- the Ribbon Tweeter is a New Patented design from a company called BoZhen New Audio Lab , the Ribbon has some very nice features. It can be crossed over as low as 1,000Hz to 1,500Hz , it's said to be a Very rugged design that can be used in a Pro Audio line source , has very low THD , Its diaphragm structure keeps 'Piston Motion' within the important frequency range(1500~15000Hz), and they say " it has separated voice coil and diaphragm structures that adopt a absolutely unique design that it's totally different from the traditional aluminium ribbon tweeters". It also seems to be priced very well for the quality of the driver- I asked about the prices and a pair of the tweeters would be around $ 200 to $240 dollars.
It makes sense that if Selah Audio is using it in their new top of the line speaker design it probably sounds really good and they must really think it's a pretty great tweeter.

- here is a link to their website -

BZ New Audio Lab

- and to the Tweeters -

BZ Horn Loudspeaker

--- BZ also has a brand New Patented Woofer Design too! The new woofer is square shaped so at first glance it looks like it might operate in a similar manor to the AMT Tweeter design, but it is a New driver concept too. The new woofer driver comes in a few different sizes, but I was looking at the DDQ8-2 I'm guessing it's close to an 8 or 9 inch wide driver that is listed as 27Hz - 1150Hz at ( 3-db )..... and their DDQ10-2 woofer that is 21Hz -1,100Hz at ( -3db ) . The new woofer design is deeper than a normal woofer , basically think of a square - rectangular driver in depth too... and it takes a very unsual port size. But the thing that I think makes it very attractive is that they have a small size in width and height so the front of the speaker could be 10 or 12 with inches wide, and because it is smaller than a comparable woofer that reaches this low it might lend itself to a pretty compact Full Range speaker design.
- So Tweeter of choice, a Purifi 6.5 driver , and one or two of the new square woofers should easily reach 20Hz - maybe flat to 20Hz... and be a very low distortion design.. But I'm not completely sure, someone else with more speaker building knowledge would need to take a look at the design - I sent an email to the speaker manufacturer asking for some more information on prices, and the volume needed for the two largest woofer units, and I'll post that too.

- Here is a picture below of the speaker that BZ designed the BS-3R that shows the general looks of the new drivers - the strange rectangle on the back of the speaker believe it or not is the size of the Port! BZ said that the woofer moves so much air that it has to be that size...

BZ, BS-3R front.jpg

BZ, BS-3R gback.jpg

- here is the link to the woofer information -

BZ DDQ Series New Type Woofer Loudspeakers

Last edited by hallcon83; 19th September 2020 at 02:32 AM.
Old 19th September 2020, 04:27 AM   #437
wolf_teeth is offline wolf_teeth  United States
diyAudio Member

The BoZhen drivers are new-ish, and about 4-5 or so years old in availability. I've not seen nor heard the woofers in person, but it appears to be a modified LAT (Tymphany) style driver. The LAT emissions then enter the horn manifold exit, combining their outputs.

It's novel, vibration isolating, but how does it sound?
Wolf
Old 19th September 2020, 09:22 AM   #438
diyAudio Member

- thanks, good question how do the woofers sound . . . Would someone please by a pair of the DDQ10-2 Woofers , oh and a pair of tweeters too please, and tell us what you think ---
Old 19th September 2020, 06:12 PM   #439
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkbail View Post
Would be considering making a new plan for RS28F w/ waveguide + RS225-8 in TL config? That would be dope!
Ask for dope and ye shall receive dope...

10F/8424 & RS225-8 FAST / WAW Ref Monitor

Schematic compatible with existing PCB for the transient perfect 1st order XO:
10F/8424 & RS225-8 FAST / WAW Ref Monitor-rs28f-wg300-rs225-xo-1-5khz-v1-jpg

Here is the predicted response of the above combo (we will assume the TL does its usual job below 100Hz):
10F/8424 & RS225-8 FAST / WAW Ref Monitor-rs28f-wg300-rs225-xo-1-5khz-freq-jpg

Impedance:
10F/8424 & RS225-8 FAST / WAW Ref Monitor-rs28f-wg300-rs225-xo-1-5khz-imped-jpg

Step Response:
10F/8424 & RS225-8 FAST / WAW Ref Monitor-rs28f-wg300-rs225-xo-1-5khz-step-jpg

I am surprised by how well this turned out. The XO freq is at 1.5kHz as seen by the deep null when I flip the polarity of the tweeter. For some reason, negative polarity on tweeter causes null.
Old 19th September 2020, 07:16 PM   #440
StudioMic is offline StudioMic  United States
diyAudio Member

Default CAD DRAWING

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur-x View Post
10 seconds CAD ;-)
3 tubes TL for LX

I have the same version of CAD!

Exploring Purifi Woofer Speaker BuildsHide this!Advertise here!