Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Exploring Purifi Woofer Speaker Builds
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2020, 05:20 AM   #421
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokytheman View Post
xrk971: always interesting to follow your builds. Now that you have played some time with the purify driver. How would you compare it to the Dayton next to it. On some reviews, it seems the purify can do things, that no other bass driver can, for its size. But does it actually better the Dayton ?
Itís very close to the RS225 in performance and cabinet that is 3x larger. However, as the saying goes: ďThereís no replacement for displacement!Ē

The 10F/RS225-8 TL is perhaps one of the best speakers I have ever heard so itís a tall order to beat it. But the two TLs are very similar in bass and midrange performance. Of course, the PTT6.5 with a dome tweeter in a waveguide has better highs and wide sweet spot. So in that sense, it beats the big RS225 in that sense. But if I put the same tweeter and waveguide on the RS225TL the advantage is probably lost.
Old 16th September 2020, 05:58 AM   #422
happylistening is offline happylistening
diyAudio Member

Hello xrk971,

I didn't follow this thread a lot, but even just look at the photos and chart posted here, it tempt me to buy a pair of Purifi to play. I am just curious if this woofer integrated with LXmini, will it fit and better performance, as it originally built with a pair of SEAS woofer and a pair of SEAS fullrange and Xover at 700hz
Old 16th September 2020, 09:44 AM   #423
hallcon83 is offline hallcon83  United States
diyAudio Member

- Hi happy, I am not sure about the fit because I am not that familiar with your LXmini speaker, you would need to go to Purifi Audio and download the Specs on the mid-woofer and compare the measurements with your LXmini to see if it would fit or not... if it doesn't fit you could maybe modify the opening a little for the right fit.
In response to the second part of your question, the sound quality should be much, much better than your current driver, everyone who has heard the New Purify driver says that they have never heard a speaker driver that it has so little distortion... and that it sounds amazing ....

- - If you go one page back to page 42 and look at the post 419, click on the link about the testing of Selah Audio's New Purezza speaker you can read thru the review and testing...

- Here is his brief summary about his subjective listening tests...

ERIN'S
AUDIO
CORNER

- "Bottom Line"

"The Selah Audio Purezza is a very accurate and enjoyable speaker. While the low frequency trend native to the speaker may be a problem to some, it can be resolved by Rick easily from what he says. I simply used an electronic low-shelf filter to resolve this and was on my way (and, thus, my comments below are with this adjustment).

The soundstage is incredible. Focus is top notch. There were no gripes of mine once I made the LF trim correction (before this, the top end sounded a bit hot).

The distortion is at dangerously low levels. What does that even mean?Ö Well, most of the time distortion is an indicator that the volume is too loud. We hear distortion and we turn it down. With these speakers, I was often in the 95-100dB level (at 11 feet, no less) without having a clue it was that loud.

I have yet to hear a speaker of this size with this level of neutrality. The midrange is so distortion-free that itís like listening to your music collection with a new set of ears/memory. I have to think that this is pushing the envelope, if not exceeding it, for performance in this size class and cost.

I wholeheartedly recommend the Selah Audio Purezza speakers if they are within your budget."

------------------------

--- you can also google - "Purifi's new speaKer review" ... and go read more reviews of the speaker driver

Best regards, Dean
Old 16th September 2020, 12:27 PM   #424
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by happylistening View Post
Hello xrk971,

I didn't follow this thread a lot, but even just look at the photos and chart posted here, it tempt me to buy a pair of Purifi to play. I am just curious if this woofer integrated with LXmini, will it fit and better performance, as it originally built with a pair of SEAS woofer and a pair of SEAS fullrange and Xover at 700hz
If you are asking if the PTT6.5 can be used as the omni woofer in a configuration like the LXmini, yes certainly. It has such a wide bandwidth that it should not be a problem. The TS parameters will require the tube rear chamber and vent to be revised, but that is easy to do. If you paired this with a ScanSpesk 10F as fullrange - it would be perhaps the ultimate modern embodiment of an LXmini. But if course you would be deviating from the plans and can not call it an LXmini anymore.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by xrk971; 16th September 2020 at 12:31 PM.
Old 17th September 2020, 02:36 AM   #425
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZestClub View Post
dimensions,
Take a look at the first image, the source is elongated. A wavelength is shorter than it on the left, but longer on the right. The line offers directivity down to a frequency related to its length. (The visual intensity is a guide only)
Quote:
number of drivers required,
The second image uses the same source length but it is made up of only two small drivers, one at each end. Due to the space between them, their ability to work at higher frequencies is compromised.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot from 2020-09-17 12-24-08.png (174.4 KB, 419 views)
File Type: png Screenshot from 2020-09-17 12-26-46.png (76.5 KB, 417 views)
Old 17th September 2020, 05:34 AM   #426
Octavia is offline Octavia  United States
diyAudio Member

The LX Mini woofer is sealed. It's temping to think a different woofer would be better but it's no slam dunk that it would be. The LX Mini is a very well thought out design. I think the bigger interest (for me at least) would be to try it with 4 channels (one per driver with the LX Mini design) of the Purifi amplifiers.
Old 17th September 2020, 01:04 PM   #427
wilbur-x is offline wilbur-x  Norway
diyAudio Member

If you let XRK's TL with woofer point vertically with an ScanSpesk 10F as fullrange pointing forward in LX-style, would that make a compact unit with the same (or better) advantages?

Last edited by wilbur-x; 17th September 2020 at 01:04 PM. Reason: grumpy grammar
Old 17th September 2020, 01:22 PM   #428
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Interesting idea WilburX...
the driver on a round tube gives it an Omni presence. But also diffraction effects of round radiator baffle.
Old 17th September 2020, 08:22 PM   #429
wilbur-x is offline wilbur-x  Norway
diyAudio Member

Alternatively keep the TL in circular sections by tubes in tubes?
Old 18th September 2020, 03:19 AM   #430
ZestClub is offline ZestClub
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenB View Post
Take a look at the first image, the source is elongated. A wavelength is shorter than it on the left, but longer on the right. The line offers directivity down to a frequency related to its length.
The second image uses the same source length but it is made up of only two small drivers, one at each end. Due to the space between them, their ability to work at higher frequencies is compromised.
Thanks for the reply!

I am thinking to use these with Pro-Ribbons which crossover at 1Khz.
So I would only use the Purifi's in the 30-1000hz range.
Would the effect you mention still affect the sound quality?

I have been using the Pro-Ribbons before, but the speakers are made with [18 Sound] woofer drivers that are very noticeably beneath the phenomenal sound quality of the isoplanar. That's why I have been waiting for something to replace them with that has the specs of the Purifi, albeit its db is lower at 88.5 instead of 95db. By rough calculation the Column Line-Array for this project would need as many as 12 x PTT6.5W04 in a vertical row.

One question, I have for anyone out there - should the Purifi's be separated from each other with their own Passive Radiator L-R, or would they work better in one enclosure, or in groups of say 4?

Exploring Purifi Woofer Speaker BuildsHide this!Advertise here!