Exploring Purifi Woofer Speaker Builds

Re surround, the theory certainty holds water with me i.e. it makes a lot of sense to keep the raditing surface the same regardless of position through the stroke. It just means you end up with this .. down to earth surround aesthetic. The look is growing on me and the feel of the material doesn't make me start worrying about surround rot. Seriously, foam surrounds? Who ever thought that was a good idea. *runs away*

^admittedly, adding to the above, I havent tried it but I do worry if the protruding areas of the surround were pushed in (like a poor tweeter v toddler) whether they would bounce back or collapse, rendering the "linear" surround ruined. Might be a topic for others to speculate when they recieve thier woofs.

Seriously, foam surrounds? Who ever thought that was a good idea. *runs away*

Because they are light and often better as a material transfer with regard to modes.

Really the only problem with (PU) foam surrounds is UV degradation, and there are plenty of foams at this point in time that have very low degradation - nearly comparable to the length of service of rubber (..which dry's out and cracks over time, particularly with sun exposure).

In addition, there are also UV blocking coatings for foams.

I'd personally like to see silicone foam used - should last a LOT longer and still have greater losses with respect to diaphragm modes (when compared to rubber).

For spendy look at the accuton C50 2" mid range.

For not so spendy (actually quite very cheap and phenomenal off axis and wide dispersion, only matched by it's ugly looks) the BMR.

hifi compass has measured the Accuton C50 and the 2"BMR. There might be other independent measurements somewhere.

I haven't tried any of these drivers, but i am wondering why am I waiting on the BMR's - those have a very low cost of entry...

I can certainly vouch for the surprising quality of the BMR midrange despite it's entry-level pricing. I have a pair of the Purifi 6.5's coming, and they just happen to have almost the exact routing dimensions as the Scan 8545-01 woofer I use in the stock BMR monitor. I'm sure there will be a lot of raised eyebrows when I mate it with the $16 BMR mid, but I don't know of anything that works as well. I tried the Accuton mid, and although it measures flat as a pancake, I just couldn't get rid of a kind of smeared coloration, perhaps because I had to use a higher woof-mid crossover point with the Accuton. The one problem with the BMR (other than its, uh, unique appearance), is power handling. I'll just have to see whether the BMR unit can stand up to the output capabilities of the Purifi. Of course, there are ways to improve the BMR's power handling...........

Attachments

• Jared 3-Way Radar BMR Reinforcement Woofer.png
    Jared 3-Way Radar BMR Reinforcement Woofer.png
    949.3 KB · Views: 1,026
I love the dog. Expression on the face same as my wife when I buy more speaker stuff. Haha. You won’t be disappointed with the purifi. Should be louder and cleaner than that woofer. I mean the Scan woofer!!

I’m holding back on my subjective opinions until I try a dome. I picked up a pair of sb26adcs (as suggested by a member earlier - thankyou) from across the ditch which should be here tomorrow and will give me a lower cross. The AMT is amazing, but I want to put it into a three way.

I love the dog. Expression on the face same as my wife when I buy more speaker stuff. Haha. You won’t be disappointed with the purifi. Should be louder and cleaner than that woofer. I mean the Scan woofer!!

I’m holding back on my subjective opinions until I try a dome. I picked up a pair of sb26adcs (as suggested by a member earlier - thankyou) from across the ditch which should be here tomorrow and will give me a lower cross. The AMT is amazing, but I want to put it into a three way.

The dog has a very low opinion of me and my speakers. I'm new to the forum and while I've read through most of the posts, I can't find exactly which AMT is being referenced. Can you educate me? thanks

Hi Your correct
I unscrewed my scan 18 dropped in the purified 6.5 even reused the screws perfect fit. Fastest driver upgrade you will ever do I suspect.

I was interested in your accuton experience I was wondering about a replacement for my present upper mid drive, but the 51 seems a little odd as you had pull the 6.5 up to 1k (which they will do) then the accuton goes on up to 10+ K - which on paper leaves me looking at my Scanspeak Illuminator D3004/6640-00 1" wondering what the hell it was for. To be fair accuton do call the 51 a tweeter.

Perhaps the answer for me is to wait and see what the Purifi 4i brings.

a different mounting arrangement for every darn driver in the world of a particular size :)

I like what Accuton has with their Cell series. Clever way of reducing CtC spacing. If only someone would make a no-holds-barred, cost-no-object approach at a BMR. If only $16 is needed for that level of performance, it makes one wonder how much further can the concept be optimised. Fancier motors, surrounds, weights, "cone" material, adding copper into the motor, etc.

Was also thinking how Scanspeak's 5F 2" widebander might also be a candidate for a 3-way.

Test Bench - Scan-Speak 5F/8422T01 2” Full-Range Driver | audioXpress

I can certainly vouch for the surprising quality of the BMR midrange despite it's entry-level pricing. I have a pair of the Purifi 6.5's coming, and they just happen to have almost the exact routing dimensions as the Scan 8545-01 woofer I use in the stock BMR monitor. I'm sure there will be a lot of raised eyebrows when I mate it with the $16 BMR mid, but I don't know of anything that works as well. I tried the Accuton mid, and although it measures flat as a pancake, I just couldn't get rid of a kind of smeared coloration, perhaps because I had to use a higher woof-mid crossover point with the Accuton. The one problem with the BMR (other than its, uh, unique appearance), is power handling. I'll just have to see whether the BMR unit can stand up to the output capabilities of the Purifi. Of course, there are ways to improve the BMR's power handling...........

Hi Dennis

The multiple BMR drivers look interesting, but i have not explored beyond MTM. Would the MMTMM suffer from comb issue or they need to be crossed lower to the tweeter to avoid any comb filtering or treated like a very small array?

I can certainly vouch for the surprising quality of the BMR midrange ................

First off good looking pup in the picture, I like the 'quit messing with your stereo and get me a treat' expression captured.

I agree BMR is both special and different.

Quip wrote "If only someone would make a no-holds-barred, cost-no-object approach at a BMR. If only $16 is needed for that level of performance, it makes one wonder how much further can the concept be optimised. Fancier motors, surrounds, weights, "cone" material, adding copper into the motor, etc." I have wondered the same, the closest to a no holds barred BMR I am aware of is the Gobel Epoque line with in-house built carbon fiber BMRs.

Gobel High End - Ultra High End Speakers and Cables

Before the merger with Focal took Naim out of the speaker business their flagship used BMRs.

Naim Ovator S-400 Loudspeaker | Naim Audio

Cambridge Audio uses them in upper models.

Aeromax 6 - Flagship Floorstanding Speakers | Cambridge Audio

And a very interesting implementation by Rega.

http://www.rega.co.uk/rs10.html

Back to PURIFI here is a preview of the system I am a few hours of drilling and wiring away from listening to. Features 16L/0.56 cu ft enclosure each with one PTT6.5W woofer and two PTT6.5PR passive radiators. Tweeter is a Fountek Neo CD2.0 ribbon.

More details soon, for now I need to concentrate on getting my group buy guys their transducers.

For extra credit who can identify the title of the CD used for size comparison?

Attachments

• First landing PURIFI woofers (4) resized.JPG
    First landing PURIFI woofers (4) resized.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 872
Last edited:
The possibilities are endless. But suffice to say for a pricey pair of woofers need to have decent enough tweeters to match.

Personally I have a pair of Focal Audiom TLR that was removed from a old build. It is in pretty bad shape but should be working after replacing the foam.

Ah crap. The pair of Audiom happens to be in Hong Kong and the flight / freight cancellation means that only surface mail is viable at the moment and it take 3 months to send something over!

I might end up having to pair it with Heil AMT. Or I will have to explore some other tweeter.