Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Exploring Purifi Woofer Speaker Builds
Exploring Purifi Woofer Speaker Builds
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th April 2020, 08:18 PM   #11
danny_66 is offline danny_66  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Instead of AMT take a look at the Viawave SRT-7 or any of the BlieSMa
Old 10th April 2020, 05:41 PM   #12
Studley is offline Studley  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimbreAudio View Post
Group buy? Noooooo
Yes there was for the US. We need a UK / EU one . . .
Old 26th April 2020, 04:02 AM   #13
mainframe99 is offline mainframe99
diyAudio Member

Holy.

Whipped up some quick test cabinets as attached. The bass these things put out is quite simply jaw dropping. Best two way (bookshelf) I have heard. No question. The song backseat freestyle by Kendrick Lamar will bring most bookshelf speakers to their knees. Not here. I know people donít like the word game changer around here but this is a game changer IMO. Itís early days, and I am using digital crossovers so a lot of tweaking to do, but so far it is really really good. I canít stop shaking my head in disbelief of how loud, clean and clear these woofers are.

(Yes those ports are green, you use what you can gets in a lockdown and this time itís communications cable duct from the top of my work Ute)
20200425_114957.jpg20200425_115206.jpg

Last edited by mainframe99; 26th April 2020 at 04:20 AM. Reason: attachments
Old 26th April 2020, 04:15 AM   #14
DaveFred is offline DaveFred  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainframe99 View Post
Holy.

Whipped up some quick test cabinets as attached. The bass these things put out is quite simply jaw dropping. Best two way (bookshelf) I have heard. No question. The song backseat freestyle by Kendrick Lamar will bring most bookshelf speakers to their knees. Not here. I know people donít like the word game changer around here but this is a game changer IMO. Itís early days, and I am using digital crossovers so a lot of tweaking to do, but so far it is really really good. I canít stop shaking my head in disbelief of how loud, clean and clear these woofers are.

(Yes those ports are green, you use what you can gets in a lockdown and this time itís communications cable duct from the top of my work Ute)
Attachment 837877
Attachment 837878
Attachments no workie...
Old 26th April 2020, 04:20 AM   #15
mainframe99 is offline mainframe99
diyAudio Member

fixed now - wifi from the balcony and image uploads dont work well together
Old 26th April 2020, 05:42 AM   #16
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainframe99 View Post

Best two way..

In a smaller 2-way 2-driver build.. this woofer is ideal, if very costly.

Unfortunatly that's about the only reason for this woofer.

I don't think I'd even use this for multiples in a dsp-boosted low-end (as originally designed for) regardless of cost.

Still, nice choice for your speakers!
Old 26th April 2020, 10:27 AM   #17
Bill poster is offline Bill poster  Thailand
diyAudio Member

A tweeter to match power handling of woofer wd be sensible.
Old 26th April 2020, 11:13 AM   #18
jamesblonde is offline jamesblonde  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
I don't think I'd even use this for multiples in a dsp-boosted low-end (as originally designed for) regardless of cost.

I could see multiples working for some applications. Using 4 of these per side has a much higher WAF than a single 15" (especially if 2 are hidden from view on the rear panel) and offers much better midrange performance. Also allows for some smart configurations. Think Kii Three on steroids
Old 26th April 2020, 11:32 AM   #19
Zvu is offline Zvu  Serbia
diyAudio Member

You need at least seven 6.5" woofers per cabinet to match cone surface of one 15" woofer.

Advanced version of Kii Three is the only logical implementation of Purifi woofer that i can think of. If you have a room large enough that you need to push Purifi to its limits, then you have enough room to accommodate larger loudspeakers that you don't have to push that hard to get to that same spl. If you have small room but still need that high SPL, you are deaf and you will not hear slightly higher distortion figure from drastically cheaper woofers (say SB17NBAC).

WAF is overrated factor. I don't choose what cell phone or makeup will my wife use, she don't decide what size of speakers i will make. I had 12" woofers + JBL PTWG followed with 15" woofer with 18"wg loudspeakers in my room when she met me so i guess she knew that i'm not into fishing or chess.

Last edited by Zvu; 26th April 2020 at 11:37 AM.
Old 26th April 2020, 11:53 AM   #20
jamesblonde is offline jamesblonde  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zvu View Post
You need at least seven 6.5" woofers per cabinet to match cone surface of one 15" woofer.

Surface area isn't everything. Remember that the Purifi has a large linear Xmax of +/- 10 mm and an Sd of 133cm2.

The first 15" data I pulled up was for the Faital 15PR400 which has an Sd of 805 cm2 and an Xmax of +/- 5.8mm (FaitalPRO 15PR400 - 15" Subwoofer)

Displacement of that 15" at Xmax is 467cm3 whereas linear displacement of 4 x Purifi is higher at 532cm3.

Working backwards from that, you would need a 15" with about +/-6.7mm linear Xmax to match the linear displacement of 4 Purifis.

Last edited by jamesblonde; 26th April 2020 at 12:03 PM.

Exploring Purifi Woofer Speaker BuildsHide this!Advertise here!