Help, small 3 way speaker with crossover Rock/Metal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Have you thought about hanging the boxes from the walls?
I know that speaker well in general terms and it was OK for the money when it was new. All I can suggest at this point is what I normally do. Fill the box loosely with fibreglass with some polyfill blanket to restrain the glass fibres

I wonder if the Hafniums might suit.

Tiny 3-way with inexpensive but very good drivers and simple xo. Low sensitivity but I think you've got a fair amount of power. Also helps that they will be only a couple of feet away. And the smaller size drivers means they are tightly configured on the baffle which will help with driver integration in the nearfield. Pretty wicked LF response from essentially a 5" subwoofer too.

Two things that spring to mind:
A pair of Zingers (2way)

or a set of headphones

I'll third the Zingers. Wolf is a highly respected designer, and I've listened to the SD 215A-88 playing a lot of rock, and for the money it would be hard to beat. FYI, full disclosure, I haven't heard the Zingers, but I wouldn't hesitate to build them if I were wanting something in your price range, and the Peerless tweeter is very well regarded. You may want to roll your chair back a bit if you have those cranking in your face. :) Glenn.

Attachments

• 320golden.promo_.jpg
    320golden.promo_.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
im not really looking for mini speakers, like i said i could go with the following:
a 8-10" bass driver with not too big of a enclosure size
prefferably 8" mid
and a good tweeter
This is my prefference so to say

But i have to say the truth i havent listened to many audio systems in my past so i dont have alot of knowledge on this HiFi subject.

But like i said before, i have the power, i just want to build a cheap system with a decent crossover i have alot of height to build upwards and depth to work with

I think i might just order what feels right to me and build what im visioning and just see what the result is, learn from my misstakes or something
Ill tell you what, i will go with Dayton and pick some stuff out and i will tell you instead. And you can tell me why this or that is a good idéa perhaps. Im going to try that when i get home later :)

Im currently looking into sound dampening the room for a audio better experience which is a big problem currently

If you decide to build a pre-existing design, I would recommend Sehlin's Zirconium for a compact 3-way or Carmody's Tarkus if you have more room.

I have built them plus about dozen other design over the last 15 years. Being a metalhead myself, I was always looking for the right sound.

Currently I'm using the Tarkus, other rooms have Exodus Audio kit2641, Wolf's Nephila, Duane Browns D4, and planning on building Paul Ks Sonatello this summer.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
im not really looking for mini speakers, like i said i could go with the following:
a 8-10" bass driver with not too big of a enclosure size
prefferably 8" mid
and a good tweeter
This is my prefference so to say

I'm currently looking into sound dampening the room for a audio better experience which is a big problem currently

While I have speakers with 8" mids my preference is no bigger than 4 or 5" usually and a good 4" has some real punch and articulation and works well with an 8 or 10" woofer or even bigger really.
Heavy curtains and carpet/rug can help a lot and heavy wall hangings if allowed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.