Tilting baffle to align tweeter and mid - is there rule of thumb?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is there a rule of thumb? I've found that the angle about 7 - 8 degree generally works well at least with using first order filter with the mid situated just below the tweeter on the baffle. For my case, the measurement was done at between the mid and the tweeter.

I supposed if you measure on the mid axis, then the angle might be different.

Mic your listening point and tilt until you get maximum null depth with one driver inverted. I just can’t remember what type of filter(s) that works with, though...

That's a good suggestion. I may try that next time.

So far I've been measuring the tweeter and mid separately, then measure them together by connecting the + and - of the two driver together. Then I would sum up the tweeter and mid in the simulation to see if it matches when both the tweeter and mid measured together with the mic.

But what you suggested seems like a very good alternative.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Reverse null could be challenging as the responses need to be properly set.

Another way is to measure each driver with the timing fixed. Manually delay one driver until phase slope approaches the minimum phase derived from the response. Apply the same delay to the other driver and if phase doesn't line up with its mimimum phase case, move the mic and try again.

Why not measure at the listening axis? In a practical point if view, you can use taller box instead of tilting back, all you need to know is the distances from the drivers to the listening spot. A passive electrical solution is to use different slopes, but this can be tricky with low order slopes.

You should go the other way. Design your speaker crossover, and then see how much tilt back you need to get the right null.
I strongly agree that the reverse null should include the crossover in place. Different crossover topologies and slopes introduce their own inherent relatives phase shifts (delay) to each section. The overall offset requires including these as well as the physical acoustic centres offset. I am not a fan of tilt-back because of the uneven response and lobing issues when a tweeter is off-axis. Much better is a baffle step but a dummy rig is useful to measure the required offset by reverse null.

Tilting the speaker doesn't change the relationship between the drivers at the xo that was chosen. That ship has sailed. The lobing/nulls in the response are fixed, like two or three flashlights taped together. Now you're tilting the baffle to put the null(s) off the main listening axis.

Of course it is andy2. Lobing/nulls between drivers radiation pattern can be caused by physical misalignment (position) or phase misalignment (xo). A phase misalignment can be induced by an electrical correction or physical position at xo frequency. Both scenarios result in similar delay/timing issues, ie. main lobe is tilted off axis.

Am I misunderstanding what are you trying to correct?

Of course it is andy2. Lobing/nulls between drivers radiation pattern can be caused by physical misalignment (position) or phase misalignment (xo). A phase misalignment can be induced by an electrical correction or physical position at xo frequency. Both scenarios result in similar delay/timing issues, ie. main lobe is tilted off axis.

Am I misunderstanding what are you trying to correct?

I think we may have two separate the
1. driver acoustic center
2. the phase alignment

It's possible they are related and in some way they are. I've pointed out that the measuring axis (mid or halfway between mid and tweeter) may affect the tilting angle.

The listening space is 3-dimensional and the axis you're listening is probably another variable.

If using first order filter, once the driver acoustic centers of the tweeter and mid are fixed, it's hard to adjust because you're being constrained by the first order filter slope. On the other hand, if you're using asymmetric xover, then you could adjust the phase even if the driver acoustic center is not aligned (such as using a combination of 2nd and 3rd order) and I think this might be what you're trying to point out.

Joined 2013
Paid Member
wouldn't you measure the drivers on the tweeter axis and determine the delay needed to align the acoustic centers. Then use Geometry (A2+B2=C2 where the intersection of A &B is the mic and C is the slope of the baffle) to figure out what degree angle is needed to put the tweeter at that distance behind the woofer?
Seems pretty straight forward - or maybe I'm too logical?

Ok, so you want to align the drivers physically first by tilting, and consider their response as the second order of business.

I was trying to make a case that aligning the driver acoustic center and aligning the driver phase response are mutually exclusive, but it's not as clear cut, therefore those two things my be related. And I said that the listening space is 3-dimensional, and by tilting the baffle, you modify the driver phase at a given listening axis.

Acoustically, the other question to ask, is that is there a difference in using a step baffle vs. a tilted baffle?

Anyway, it seems to be more complicated and not as clear-cut as I had thought.

Acoustically, the other question to ask, is that is there a difference in using a step baffle vs. a tilted baffle?

Anyway, it seems to be more complicated and not as clear-cut as I had thought.
Yes. A stepped baffle typically gives better off-axis dispersions in the treble, with response artifacts from diffraction. Tilting a flat baffle does not introduce additional diffraction but can hurt the tweeter’s dispersion up top.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.