A 5 way DIY

A 5 way DIY, 6 month Build.

Im very happy with the outcome of 6 months 3 hours a day. Have many progress pictures if anyone is interested.

Low order 5 way x/over, driven by Marants 1509 and two Behringer A800s.

Its a long time since Ive been here, hope this finds you all well..

S

Attachments

• 20200219_122740.jpg
    20200219_122740.jpg
    708.4 KB · Views: 1,778
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
how about some fr response measurements, on axis and off axis, like 10, 20, 30, 40 degrees

Thank you for your question, At this stage I cannot test the speakers due to not having the equipment, I have ordered it, and as soon as I have tested I will post the results..All I can offer at this stage is the predicted response.. But as with most things, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To my old ears, they cause goosebumps or tears..sometimes both.. :) .

Attachments

• xover.jpg
    xover.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 1,830
And what are the drivers you are using?

All built on a budget, these are no-name Chinese Drivers cost around 300 for all 10 drivers, the subwoofer drivers we re-tasked from an tatty old Zachry Isobaric Ported Sub, so the drivers had never seen daylight. All in all, Ive listened to many systems at all different price brackets and I'm extremely happy with these. Although they are not finished, that is primer grey paint and none of the inter-cabinet hardware is fitted yet, Eventually they will be prepped and 2 packed in a yet undecided color. All MDF construction varying from 1/2 to 1.1/2 inches thick, No two sides are flat or parallel so at some stage when I do finish them I will not be able to listen to them for some time.:(

Last edited:
This picture taken very early in project obviously, shows that I have used laminated MDF rather than one piece, reasoning is you get more hard surfaces in the laminates so stronger, and you can stagger the joins where one curve meets another, there are no parallel sides on this cabinet and only the back is flat, front leans away from the listener as the drivers get shallower, both the 12" and the 8" have their own volumes "sealed" and some of the internal bracing is visible in this pic..

Attachments

• 20190701_122310.jpg
    20190701_122310.jpg
    817.8 KB · Views: 1,536
I will mention at this juncture that the inspiration for this build came from a Wilson Audio product, "to my eye" some of the most beautiful speakers ever conceived. Not ever being likely to afford a pair this was the logical path to follow. These are a 5 way, or to be more precise a 2 way and 3 way in the same cabinet group "bi ampable" the upper drivers can be moved for and aft relative to each other and the bass section and the differences can be quite astonishing, which combination is most correct in terms of sound reproduction is anybody's guess. I just settled on what sounded best for me.:eek:.

Anyway next build picture >>>

I mounted the x-overs like this to make any needed alterations easier, only one component exists outside of this pocket, an inductor in tweeter cabinet that need not be air-tight. A cover is later fabricated for this pocket. Ive attempted to keep a tricky build as simple as possible,

More pictures to follow, if anyone is interested. And please comment if you think I have erred or can offer an improvement given the pre-requisites of my build. Take care everyone..S

It certainly is a good effort and looks great. I have a feeling that once you can tune, and work on the room you will be happy.

Thankyou, Yes I feel the room is the only real improvement I can make now, the large canvas covered artworks you see in the first picture and another on the opposing wall not seen in image went a long way to minimize slap echo, bass is another issue though, too many things rattle at boisterous volumes, windows, doors, things in the kitchen, my teeth. :)

The upper modules were patterned in situ and were fairly straight forward as mostly flat sided, without curves, No baffles were permanently fixed in at this stage, due to uncertainty of the drivers, and they are still not, there are no leaks buzzes or rattles so I wont worry about that until they are surfaced finished..

Attachments

• 20190902_111321.jpg
    20190902_111321.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 837
The Tweeter modules were simple enough, however to upper mids took a little while to get aesthetically acceptable with the faceted design, this was my third attempt and the one I eventually went with... On the subject of tweeters this is one area I feel there could be an improvement, sometimes I feel there is something missing up the top end, however my adult children assure me otherwise whilst they sit mouth agape listening to a orchestral piece ignoring their devices when their preferred genre is doof doof..I have to accept that, given that after many years of heavy industry Its hard to tell where my hearing craps out and tinnitus kicks in, I think its around 13.5k :)

Attachments

• 20190922_125612.jpg
    20190922_125612.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 799
Last edited: