A 5 way DIY

Hi ttan98

Close, there are 9 Cabinets in total & 12 drivers. It is large and demanding of space, you are correct. But yes, with a bit of a nudge they sound good to my ears and I listen to them every day....There are 2 subs in their own cabinet. And thank you..

Last edited:
You do quality work.

Getting there,,, I do find it odd however that I can hear the difference with the frames pinned in place. And to be honest I like the subtle change.. It kind of makes me wonder if a radius on the inside of them is the way to go..I'm sure there is some scientific explanation for it..But now I'm thinking bevel the b,stards..

Attachments

• 20210710_145329.jpg
    20210710_145329.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:
I'll elaborate. I have listened now with grilles on and off several times with the assistance of my wife to change one ore both without me seeing. I can definitely hear a difference 10 times out of 10. and to my ears its a favorable one. It is like the sounds at the upper threshold of my diminished hearing have more presence "sparkle if you will" I don't know if the bevel on the outer edge or the lack of bevel on the inner edge is the reason. I,m sure there is a scientific reason as I said. It is evident most certainly. :confused:

Last edited:
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
There are maybe a few possible explanations. The frame has a resonance, or the frame reflections.. either is causing a variation in the response you hear. If this is so then you'd want to fix that and equalise it in instead... or, it is the delayed sound off the frame that you like.

I've been following your progress since post #1, 542 days ago. Great progress, great "fit and finish", tremendous commitment to a goal. It's motivational to see a fellow hobbyist complete a sophisticated project. Are the midbass and tweeter cabinets adjustable? What's your preferred listening distance?

The 3 uppers are adjustable in two axis for and aft and tilt, changing these does alter the sound a little I can hear it and the umik certainly sees it but ATM they are just plonked where its aesthetically pleasing . The inter-cabinet hardware is still on my workbench as the jury is still out as to whether I should couple the cabinets or leave them uncoupled as they are now, Floating on soft pads. Preferred LP is room dictated and at around 4.5 meters sounds good, although the sub integrates better "on paper" in reverse polarity and the NVR is told its over 10 meters away..:). Im knocking 60 so my hearing isn't what it used to be, thus my judgement and or preference is most likely questionable at best..:rolleyes:

This is excellent work!!! Amazing!! You must be proud :)
I may have missed it through the pages.
What is the size of your room? What is the wattage of the amplifiers? What is your listening level usually? Normal, loud, really loud?

Thankyou, yes I am very happy with the outcome. One day I might even finish paint them, If I can do without them for long enough. Room is open plan but essentially 7 x 10 ish, thats meters..A Marantz 1509 drives the uppers with 2 x Behringer A800,s doing the heavy lifting in the bass and sub. The last question is totally dependent on whether or not my wife is home, I prefer loudish with just enough bass to feel. The speaker are not very efficient but sound great regardless "to me anyway", and testing reveals a reasonably faithful response from cheap drivers, so the A800s sit on half and stay there, the Marantz that drives them and the uppers sits on about half as well for a comfortable realistic volume, anything above 60 and stuff starts moving or breaking usually up the other end of the house though...:) above 70 and its the stuff up the other end of the neighbors house..:D

Last edited: