Bookshelf Upgrade Conundrums

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a set of Polk S20 bookshelf speakers that sounded pretty good with my system. Long story short, they were damaged recently and the drivers are trashed. I've looked at OEM replacements but I am put off by the cost ($65 ea for the woofer, $80 ea for the tweeter).

So my line of thinking is replacing them with a set of drivers that very closely matches the Polk specs. Parts Express has a huge selection and I'm thinking a 6.5" and tweeter from Tang Band might be a good fit for the Polk cabinet and crossover.

When I say specs I'm looking mostly at sensitivity, recommended cabinet size, frequency response and crossover point.

What do you guys think? Does anyone have a recommendation for better replacements? Am I wasting my money and should I just buy those Elac reference speakers I've been drooling over for the last 6 months, lol!

Thanks in advance for your feedback and helpful criticism.

It depends how much you love your Polks... I was never a fan, but then I do most things a bit differently ;)

Personally, I would suggest the Elacs ... Not because they are necessarily better but because finding replacement drivers for the Polks could be a bit tricky, since they have their own custom made.

ebay occasionally has used and "open box" ELAC Debut Reference DBR62 (black or oak) speakers for $400-$450 per pair shipped. It seems safer to take a risk on slightly used ELAC Debut DBR62, than pay $300 for shipped OEM drivers and risk a poor match in your old S20 crossover+cabinet.

ebay occasionally has used and "open box" ELAC Debut 2.0 B5.2 speakers for $250 per pair shipped.
=========
Unless you have the exact T/S parameters for YOUR original S20 drivers, and can find almost identical Dayton replacements, you will have to live with annoying sound for years. Life is too short.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.