Are SS 18W/8545-00 and 18W/8545 identical?

Am I correct in assuming that this 18W/8545 driver is identical to 18W/8545-00, even though it doesn't say "-00"?

iIt2Qz9.jpg

I looked up the PDFs.

As far as I can see, Scan have just done a little production update here. Probably bringing all their models into line.

The new Aluminium former 18W/8545-01 does have a 10% lighter cone, which is the main event. It's 1dB louder, and more resembles the Kapton former 18W/8545 K00 on frequency response.

A slight chassis difference is the 00 had tiny depressions either side of the 6 mounting holes.

Your picture seems to show this.

The real difference between the old and the new -01 model, is to show the driver now is with a aluminium chassis, made from a new tool. Where the old -00 was made with a magnesium chassis, this tool is probably worn out now. The new tool is just re-made for alu casting. For us it is the exact same driver, but I belive it is usefull for Scan Speak to be able to seperate new and older drivers with a new part number.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2005
Paid Member
I have had

18W/8545 (original), circa 1985
18W/8545-00 (older) circa 2000
18W/8545-01 (least old) circa 2010

I even got the 8545-01 before they were officially released, and at the time I had no idea what they were, and the distributor wasn't sure either, so I asked for them to be sent back, saying "that's not what I ordered" and they kindly obliged.

There's some minor variation between all drivers, and as Goran says, depending on the crossover, may be a drop-in replacement or minor changes.

Later I found out about the Scan-Speak fire whereby the whole factory was burnt to the ground. So replacing the magnesium frames with aluminum frames probably had something to do with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user