Strange Frequency response?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi! This is my first post on this forum, if this question is in the wrong place I apologize. I've been working on a diy boombox using Dayton Audio RST28F tweeters, and I've noticed the frequency response at the top end looks kind of funny. I know these tweeters are supposed to reach all the way to 20khz, but my measurements show that the -3 db point is around 12 khz? Is this normal? The speaker really sounds fine, I can't hear anything lacking in the treble, but just the measurements show a sharp drop off after 11-12 khz. It could very well be that I'm measuring it wrong, I'm using a umik-1 mic with room eq wizard. I did check and confirm the test is going all the way up to 20 khz though. Here's the graph: EcstasyFrequencyResponseSixth.jpg

Oh and btw, these measurements were taken outside, so room acoustics shouldn't be an issue, even though I don't think it matters anyways at frequencies this high. I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm still very new to a lot of this stuff.

The speaker really sounds fine, I can't hear anything lacking in the treble, but just the measurements show a sharp drop off after 11-12 khz.

Try a test at very low volume, just enough that you can barely hear the sweep, with the mic about 1 inch from the tweeter dome. Do you get the same result?

If you don't see full range from the tweeter there are multiple possibilities...
A treble control was turned down somewhere in your system
REW has a house curve installed that attenuates high frequencies
Your sweep settings end at 10k (10hz to 20k is normal)
The acoustics are cancelling treble
You accidentally placed your mic in a tweeter null
Your sound drivers are attenuating high frequencies
Your microphone can't respond past 10k (unlikely with umic)

Last edited:
Try checking the sample rate first. It should be set to 48KHz or higher.
You say that the response is of the tweeter, but the tweeter you describe has a low frequency resonance of 710Hz, in which case there is something wrong at low frequencies as well.

Peter

1)I know these tweeters are supposed to reach all the way to 20khz, but my measurements show that the -3 db point is around 12 khz? Is this normal?
2)The speaker really sounds fine, I can't hear anything lacking in the treble, but just the measurements show a sharp drop off after 11-12 khz.
1) The spec sheet shows the RST28F around -4dB at 20kHz on axis, yours appears around -10dB, about -6 dB difference.
+/-3 dB response variations between units are usually considered "normal", and slight variations of angle can increase those differences. Those variations alone could account for the difference shown, without considering your mic response deviations.
2)Most adult hearing response drops off -10 to -30dB at 15kHz, so we don't hear a lack of something we already hardly hear ;^)

Attachments

• RST28F -10dB @20kHz.png
    RST28F -10dB @20kHz.png
    277.9 KB · Views: 105
Try checking the sample rate first. It should be set to 48KHz or higher.
You say that the response is of the tweeter, but the tweeter you describe has a low frequency resonance of 710Hz, in which case there is something wrong at low frequencies as well.

Peter

Actually sorry, I should have been more clear, the frequency response is of the tweeter and the woofer, not only the tweeter. I figured it out though so all is good now. :)

1) The spec sheet shows the RST28F around -4dB at 20kHz on axis, yours appears around -10dB, about -6 dB difference.
+/-3 dB response variations between units are usually considered "normal", and slight variations of angle can increase those differences. Those variations alone could account for the difference shown, without considering your mic response deviations.
2)Most adult hearing response drops off -10 to -30dB at 15kHz, so we don't hear a lack of something we already hardly hear ;^)

Actually it was the position I was measuring the response at. I thought I was measuring it at ear level but turns out I was a bit too low. I hope my hearing hasn't started to drop off already, I'm not an adult yet actually still a teenager lol, but I figured it out now so all is good. :D

Thanks everyone for your help, I did figure out the problem, and it was my microphone placement. I had thought I had been measuring at ear level, but infact I was a little lower than I should have been. I raised the microphone and made sure this time it was truly at ear level, my measurements look a lot more "normal" now, thanks again!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.