Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Crossover Upgrades - Or are these just changes?
Crossover Upgrades - Or are these just changes?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th March 2020, 01:44 PM   #1
speedmadness is offline speedmadness  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Crossover Upgrades - Or are these just changes?

I recently bought a pair of Klipsch RP600Ms after all of the rave reviews and being the Audiophilliac "Speaker Of The Year 2018". So far, they seem to live up to the Hype.

Danny Ritchie at GR Research did a complete analysis and teardown of a pair of them, and designed complete new crossovers to address the issues he found. He sells his upgrades as a kit for $209 which includes a $50 sheet of No-Rez damping material and a $50 set of "Tube Connectors".

Klipsch RP-600M Upgrade

While His new crossovers measure better, the No-Rez and Particularly the Tube Connectors seem, to me, to be of slightly dubious value.

My question is, would upgrading the existing crossovers with higher quality Caps and resistors offer any actual improvement in sound quality?

Jantzen Audio Superes 9.1 Ohm resistors are $3 and Dayton Audio Precision 4.0uF 1% caps are $4

Any actual gains to be had, or are these just "changes"?

Pretty amazing to me how good these sound considering the level of components used in their build. Iron core inductor, cement resistor, etc...
Click the image to open in full size.
We in Michigan are sitting around our homes based on a State Wide Forced Shutdown for the next 3 weeks due to Covid19 concerns, so just spending a little time thinking about upgrades/changes.

Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 02:16 PM   #2
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

I've seen this interesting teardown. The quality of the components and the cabinet construction is starkly revealed, whilst explaining how the manufacturers have been highly effective in working to a specific budget in producing this speaker.

My take from the teardown was that it is worth improving the rigidity and damping of the cabinet, but that the crossover upgrade is over the top with regard to this particular model.
Old 24th March 2020, 02:33 PM   #3
johnnyx is offline johnnyx  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

There's a review of these here Klipsch RP-600M Speaker Review | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum, and a discussion about those "upgrades".
Old 24th March 2020, 10:46 PM   #4
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

Save your 209$ and enjoy .. Give yourself a year or 2 of use /familiarity trying to 'improve' what isn't broken.
Old 25th March 2020, 03:25 PM   #5
sgrossklass is offline sgrossklass  Germany
diyAudio Member

If you have a parametric EQ available, I suggest you use that to even out the 5 dB midrange dip (and preceding peak), and perhaps the slightly too much treble as well if you are listening on-axis. Once EQ'd, these are really decent performers.

If EQ is not an option, the XO would have to be modified. Not necessarily with fancy components, just the right ones. This would be an opportunity to tackle the remaining woofer breakup at ~6 kHz as well, which could take some more suppression. Not as sure what to do about the 700 Hz mode leaking out the port.

Coming up with a mod is, I think, better left to those with an ability to take decent measurements both on and off axis. That said, the frequency range of interest to us (maybe 600 Hz to below 10 kHz) should present relatively few major challenges even to amateur efforts.
Old 25th March 2020, 04:18 PM   #6
Douglas Blake is offline Douglas Blake  Canada
diyAudio Member

I see from the audio science review there is a 6db (or so) dip at the crossover point. One thing you could try experimentally is reversing the wires on the tweeter, it could be a phase issue or a group delay issue and often that is very easily corrected.

If you have REW or a similar spectrum analysis package, listen to a half dozen songs you are very familiar with then take sweeps before and after flipping the wires and listen to your playlist again to see if the improvement is audible and/or satisfactory.

If it doesn't satisfy just reconnect the tweeter as before.

However; for the price of these I would not recommend spending $200+ on a crossover update. It would likely make more sense to invest that $200 plus the resale price of the speakers into a better set of speakers.

Last edited by Douglas Blake; 25th March 2020 at 04:22 PM.

Crossover Upgrades - Or are these just changes?Hide this!Advertise here!