TQWT Monacor Mindstorm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!
I haven't made this exact speaker ,but I've made TQWT with another Monacor driver - sph 60x.This seems as an interesting project.Both drivers seem to be good for the money.My previos experience with monacor drivers leads to a good opinon about this company. Whatever,I like the sound of my TQWT. Maybe this one could have a deeper bass if made longer,also the roll of at 500Hz could be a baffle step response problem.I think it is becuse I see no BSC circuit included.Make one,you'll have a deeper bass for sure if you add one. I heard that DT-107 is a good tweeter.I encourage you to make this speaker and to inform as on results;)
Cheers
tomac

GM said:
No, but it's easy enough to do if I have specs.

GM

http://www.monacor.com/en/produktseite_monacor.php?artikelnummer=SPH-135C&bestellnummer=10.2310

Hi GM
I know it should be easy, but I do not have any experience at all about TL-cabinets so far, and I haven' yet found any software, that I could use for TL's. What kind of software do you use?

I believe the Monacor SPH 135 C is a fine little speaker for TL's but please correct me if I'm wrong.

I do not need a very high SPL, and I do have a good sub below 80 Hz.

Hi weidok,

the developer of the MINDSTORM is Theo Winterscheidt, the mastermind behind the german loudspeaker DIY forum "www.audiotreff.de". I couldn´t audition this loudspeaker yet, but AFAIK Theo puts his effort into getting max. results from affordable drivers. His TQWT definitely does NOT follows Martin Kings rules, but has been the result of some iterations in box construction. It took Theo 6 different enclosures before he was satisfied with the result. So you could do worse than follow his design.

Greets
Rudolf

Greets!
====
>http://www.monacor.com/en/produktse...lnummer=10.2310
====
Interesting! I used the site's search function and got no info, so thought it was no longer listed or an incomplete model #.
====
>What kind of software do you use?
====
What's been noted in many TL threads, MJK's: http://www.quarter-wave.com/
====
>I believe the Monacor SPH 135 C is a fine little speaker for TL's but please correct me if I'm wrong.
====
Don't have any experience with any Monacors, but it sims real nice.
====
>I do not need a very high SPL, and I do have a good sub below 80 Hz.
====
Since this one is aneochoically flat to 40Hz, it should be an easy match up (assuming the published specs are ~accurate).

Max flat:

Vb = 0.6ft^3
Fb = 40Hz

L = 33"
S0/SL = 31.402"^2
Zdriver = 11.75"
Zport = 31"
density = 0.2lbs/ft^3
rp = 1"
Lp = 5.5"

All dims inside.

GM

Attachments

• monacor sph-35c max flat.zip
    70 KB · Views: 124
Thanks a lot GM :)

I've been studying Roger L. Sanders book on ESL-speakers, and a part of his book describes building TL-speakers for use with ESL-panels.
His guidelines are:

1 - Area of TL driver end min. 125% of speakerdiapraghm area
2 - Area of TL port end 100% of speakerdiapraghm
3 - Length min. 25% of the length of the fs wavelength

maybe this one works better
(at least it works fine from here)

GM

Joined 2003
Well, with his design concept you have to use a high Vas, Q driver and heavily stuff it to get any LF, and then only a ~infinite baffle response.

Hmm, I see the attachment is corrupted for some reason. Looks fine at my end so let's try again:

GM

Attachments

• monacor sph-35c max flat.zip
    76.1 KB · Views: 73
Is it even a current design / offering from Monacor? The last post on this thread was 16 years ago, and many of Monacor's kit designs seem to have either vanished from their sites or are sufficiently buried that they're quite difficult to find.

Youre right in that its not a Commercial kit anymore, as far as I can see. It can however still be found online and I thought there could be a some users or builders around that could shed some light on the quality of the crossover...

Hifi-Selbstbau - Mindstorm (CT 213, die Ur-TQWT von HiFi-Selbstbau)

Well, it's not how I'd design a crossover; I'm generally allergic to single-cap high pass designs with dome tweeters as they cannot prevent its excursion continuing to increase below the XO corner frequency. But it was clearly designed as an inexpensive speaker for people to play with & listen to, so it wouldn't be fair to expect too much of it in this regard. There again, I can think of several other kit designs from roughly this time that took a similar approach, and were well-enough liked. Whether that says more about the state of affordable commercial loudspeakers at the time than the design itself is open to question.

Last edited:
Well, it's not how I'd design a crossover; I'm generally allergic to single-cap high pass designs with dome tweeters as they cannot prevent its excursion continuing to increase below the XO corner frequency. But it was clearly designed as an inexpensive speaker for people to play with & listen to, so it wouldn't be fair to expect too much of it in this regard. There again, I can think of several other kit designs from roughly this time that took a similar approach, and were well-enough liked. Whether that says more about the state of affordable commercial loudspeakers at the time than the design itself is open to question.

Im generally positive to CO first order designs atleast when they are in series config. There is a certain musical quality in my subjective opinion. But they are of course not for loud listening and the tweeter must be divided electrically high, maybe at 6-8 kHz. So you need a smaller midbass driver capable of going high...

I wouldn't even cross a 3-way cone & dome that high... To each their own. How tedious life would be if we were all the same.

The actual crossoverpoint of course will be lower than fex 6khz since the mid is divided lower, maybe at 2khz, this gap between the corners will create a small bbc-dip in the midrange where the human ear have most of its sensitivity. But as you say, it would be tedious if we all did the same :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.