Does Onken Bass Cabinet sounds more open & less boxy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No, I never took pics of anything I did except for a few scratch built models I entered in contests and even these didn't survive for various reasons. Any speakers I made other than a large horn system were all either given away as gifts/whatever or traded as barter for other stuff till the taxman put a stop to it.

GM

You would have to have lived within easy driving distance of Atlanta. The few I made 'pretty' were really nice though; I come from two families of various trades of master craftsmen [and women] and they all wanted to teach me something.

Here's an antebellum home I helped/apprenticed restore/upgrade during my 10th Summer, the Mayor's Mansion, living/learning all things required with one of my aunts and uncles. My only so called free time was for reading the entire National Geographic library from the first issue to date before Summer's end since 'idle hands were the Devil's tools'. We didn't do it all in a Summer of course, I was only there for a lot of finish work, learning how to make plaster moulding, myriad types of finishing, etc., plus plenty of 'strong back/weak mind' labor as they were getting on up in years.

Scroll down to:

This grand home has changed a lot since being built in the 1850s. Originally an Italianate style (very popular at the time), it was remodeled to it’s current look in 1906-07. This home was home to Mayor John B. Felder, and his wife Lucy – interestingly, he served as mayor of Americus for 20 years!

Americus - Beautiful Old Homes - Old Georgia Homes

GM

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
edit for Sumotan : go for a mini Tanoy look with the mini GM's VoT, call it SumoToy, thin walls (19 mm mdf) à la Harbeth monitor 40 which has n brassing but an horizontal piece of squarred wood between the two sides. And theorically and with luck the box will sing lower than 400 Hz. I have no idea though if the group delay in the low which will be higher in frequency (if I understand) than an Onken which is going lower in bass. But maybe you can not hear it, use a sub with embeded electronic XO for the two first octaves to avoid to spent all your retirment at tunning the bass :)
then if lucky à la GM, just enjoy :)

Wow those are really nice houses GM. Since your also skilled in houses me have an OT question for you. Over here our houses are brick & mortar, my house have crack lines on the exterior walls which was repaired thrice & still the crack lines appears at the same areas.
What is the cause GM , oh & what about bubbling paint on interior wall, is it the sand quality use in the cement etc ?

Many thanks again

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
so why bother with an Onken which is bigger design than VoT ???

A mini VoT would no be uglier... Veenering can help you... but yes, everyone has different tastes :p... like the classic lok à la Tannoy or Sendor, Harbeth big coffins :D

Walls are cracking... can be many things, is the concrete floor made on sand, without proper stones before and metal rodes in the concrete ? ground soil with a lot of rain then dry summer (moving soil) ? Clay soil and hot weather ? Too heavy roof and bad cement with too much sand (and salted :mad:) ! poor bricks quality? You should go for walls cemented with no cement but with Hydrated lime with fibers and different dry non salted sand of different size : it will last longer than a life, but if the roof is to big or the concrete floor have default as soon as the beginning of the construct... Sell it and leave ! just my two cents of course.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
... and I believe -while sure someone as Geedle is knowing- the FLH of the VoT is not for loading by progressive air adaptation impedance I may be wrong but the VoT frontal lens was here for wider dispersion for cinema, theaters, venues... and perhaps to match the horn on the top of the cabinet. Onken was inprovment if I remembe to reach the second octave. American and japan people her know far w more than I on the subject.
With a flat VoT load, an oken load it could be also easier for time alignement on the upper driver. More room to back off the mid-tweeter unit vis a vis of the Coral voice coil... theorically...I dunno in real life. :ghost:

pictures lensed Tannoy WestMünster vs flat paneled Tannoy with tweeter on top. Smaller distance between the center of the woofer unit and the tweeter is mandatory if the tweeter is not lensed to match the woofer patern I surmise ?
I don't know about their bass loading if nearer from Onken than VoT ?

Attachments

• 9%20Westminster%20Royal%20Cutaway%20Drawing.jpg
    9%20Westminster%20Royal%20Cutaway%20Drawing.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 148
  • 859217_480852171976857_1884724116_o.jpg
    859217_480852171976857_1884724116_o.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 149
Wow those are really nice houses GM. Since your also skilled in houses me have an OT question for you.

Normally it's all about moisture retention. If Foundations, concrete block construction isn't properly moisture/water proofed, its like your ship, it will ultimately leak/sink if not kept properly 'seaworthy'. ;)

Anyway, all you need to know on the subject is on-line, just anything you do, make sure it meets local codes and if none, guessing South Florida's mostly below grade land mass, torrential high wind/rain storms is good enough for all but the worst that Indonesia suffers through.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.