Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Does Onken Bass Cabinet sounds more open & less boxy
Does Onken Bass Cabinet sounds more open & less boxy
Does Onken Bass Cabinet sounds more open & less boxy Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th February 2020, 02:36 AM   #81
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Yeah, less is always less in acoustics.

GM
Old 28th February 2020, 12:46 PM   #82
sumotan is offline sumotan  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
Normally it's all about moisture retention. If Foundations, concrete block construction isn't properly moisture/water proofed, its like your ship, it will ultimately leak/sink if not kept properly 'seaworthy'.

Anyway, all you need to know on the subject is on-line, just anything you do, make sure it meets local codes and if none, guessing South Florida's mostly below grade land mass, torrential high wind/rain storms is good enough for all but the worst that Indonesia suffers through.

GM
Thanks again GM, thank goodness it's only exterior surface cracks so no leaks. lol
Old 28th February 2020, 01:03 PM   #83
diyAudio Member

Hi Gents,
Stumbled upon VT52 article. Im confused at what the author means.
It says the horns handles 150hz up & the Onken reflex takes over the lower registers. I thought that reflex vents are calculated to a targeted cut off frequency or have I miss something ?

Many thanks again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bass_03.jpg (21.3 KB, 55 views)
Old 28th February 2020, 08:00 PM   #84
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumotan View Post
Thanks again GM, thank goodness it's only exterior surface cracks so no leaks. lol
You're welcome! So paint blistering is only on the outside?

GM
Old 28th February 2020, 08:06 PM   #85
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumotan View Post
I thought that reflex vents are calculated to a targeted cut off frequency or have I miss something ?
True, but from the looks of it they're not reflex vents.

GM
Old 29th February 2020, 05:27 AM   #86
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
You're welcome! So paint blistering is only on the outside?

GM
No GM blistering/bubbling of paint is on a wall inside the house. Was told that it could be sand which was not wash clean containing too much salt but Im unsure.
Old 29th February 2020, 06:14 AM   #87
diyAudio Member

Normally, it's due to moisture, mold. Also can be the paint if not rated for concrete blocks, etc., plus of course if not properly cleaned.

Regardless, unless you're 100% sure it's not moisture related, recommend 'someone' do a serious search for any kind of leak and 'sweating' pipes.

One aggravating leak I had when I bought the house wasn't found until a complete new roof was installed and even then it was only visible with all the board decking in the area removed plus it had three complete asphalt shingle roofs with the appropriate roofing felt between them, yet still found a way in with a 4:12 pitch.

Nature always finds a way..........

Been having bouts of up to 98% relative humidity in my locale when I responded the other night, which was the 'last straw' for some of my concrete block foundation's sealer/paint, finally sloughing off in large 'plates'.

Can't complain though, it was put on in Spring '77 after sand blasted, pressure washed and suffered through annual heavy rains with high winds, some snow, plenty of big temperature swings, several mini twisters, etc., so long past due for a restoration [house too].

Anyway, good luck with it and 'color me done'; too far off topic.

GM

Last edited by GM; 29th February 2020 at 06:16 AM.
Old 29th February 2020, 06:32 AM   #88
diyAudio Member

Now this discussion is more interesting then speaker diy GM. Lol
Many thanks again for the advice. Btw house was newly build 5 yrs ago.

Cheers

Does Onken Bass Cabinet sounds more open & less boxyHide this!Advertise here!