Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Does Onken Bass Cabinet sounds more open & less boxy
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th February 2020, 01:51 PM   #61
sumotan is offline sumotan  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Thank you Diyiggy & Pano
Old 26th February 2020, 05:29 PM   #62
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Sure thing.

Just to answer the original question again: I have never heard the typical boxy sound from an Onken cabinet. Not 15, 12, 10 inch or smaller drivers. Not sure about more open, but the lack of a boxy sound is nice.
Old 27th February 2020, 05:02 AM   #63
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyiggy View Post
Why not a mini design a la vojce of the theater as GM is here to advice ?
Made some of those in my time; 8" for 1/4 scale, 6" for 1/8 scale. An Altec A2 was the first and best performing one I did which was pure blind luck as I didn't have a clue about any speaker design beyond sticking a driver in a closed box or mounted on a baffle.

GM
Old 27th February 2020, 05:17 AM   #64
diyAudio Member

1/4 & 1/8 scale Gm !!!!!! Must be very very cute.
Any pictures ?

Many thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 06:17 AM   #65
diyAudio Member

No, I never took pics of anything I did except for a few scratch built models I entered in contests and even these didn't survive for various reasons. Any speakers I made other than a large horn system were all either given away as gifts/whatever or traded as barter for other stuff till the taxman put a stop to it.

GM
Old 27th February 2020, 06:59 AM   #66
diyAudio Member

Waaazzz Im so unlucky, should have known you back then GM, then I might get some wonder design of yours for free. Lol
Old 27th February 2020, 07:31 AM   #67
diyAudio Member

You would have to have lived within easy driving distance of Atlanta. The few I made 'pretty' were really nice though; I come from two families of various trades of master craftsmen [and women] and they all wanted to teach me something.

Here's an antebellum home I helped/apprenticed restore/upgrade during my 10th Summer, the Mayor's Mansion, living/learning all things required with one of my aunts and uncles. My only so called free time was for reading the entire National Geographic library from the first issue to date before Summer's end since 'idle hands were the Devil's tools'. We didn't do it all in a Summer of course, I was only there for a lot of finish work, learning how to make plaster moulding, myriad types of finishing, etc., plus plenty of 'strong back/weak mind' labor as they were getting on up in years.

Scroll down to:

Quote:
This grand home has changed a lot since being built in the 1850s. Originally an Italianate style (very popular at the time), it was remodeled to it’s current look in 1906-07. This home was home to Mayor John B. Felder, and his wife Lucy – interestingly, he served as mayor of Americus for 20 years!
Americus - Beautiful Old Homes - Old Georgia Homes

GM

Last edited by GM; 27th February 2020 at 07:36 AM.
Old 27th February 2020, 11:12 AM   #68
diyiggy is offline diyiggy
diyAudio Member

Old 27th February 2020, 11:48 AM   #69
diyiggy is offline diyiggy
diyAudio Member

edit for Sumotan : go for a mini Tanoy look with the mini GM's VoT, call it SumoToy, thin walls (19 mm mdf) ā la Harbeth monitor 40 which has n brassing but an horizontal piece of squarred wood between the two sides. And theorically and with luck the box will sing lower than 400 Hz. I have no idea though if the group delay in the low which will be higher in frequency (if I understand) than an Onken which is going lower in bass. But maybe you can not hear it, use a sub with embeded electronic XO for the two first octaves to avoid to spent all your retirment at tunning the bass
then if lucky ā la GM, just enjoy
Old 27th February 2020, 12:02 PM   #70
diyAudio Member

Wow those are really nice houses GM. Since your also skilled in houses me have an OT question for you. Over here our houses are brick & mortar, my house have crack lines on the exterior walls which was repaired thrice & still the crack lines appears at the same areas.
What is the cause GM , oh & what about bubbling paint on interior wall, is it the sand quality use in the cement etc ?

Many thanks again

Does Onken Bass Cabinet sounds more open & less boxyHide this!Advertise here!