Mundorf AMT 25CS2.1-R

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here are yesterdays capacitor measurements. To reiterate, this set of tests are to determine if orientation makes a difference. I do agree with erik, maybe the caps need to settle and/or break in. I'm on a learning curve, and any advice is appreciated. I'll retest in a couple of months. Hopefully break in is complete.

This set of measurements are of three caps, forward and backwards.

Jantzen Superior Z. Mundorf EVO Silver/Gold/Oil. Duelund VSF. All 4.7uF.

1) Jantzen distortion %. After taking the EVO SGO measurements, I didn't look at this again. The EVO has lower distortion. The Jantzen won't be tested again.
2) EVO SGO, aligned backwards. Hooked the +ve to -ve binding post, opps. FR is a little inverted. Distortion shouldn't change. Nice results, especially considering the volumes involved.
3) EVO SGO distortion, backwards
4)EVO SGO fr. Proper alignment
5) EVO SGO distortion, proper
6) Duelund VSF fr, backwards
7) VSF distortion, backwards
8) VSF fr, proper
9) VSF distortion, proper

The EVO SGO has lower distortion backwards, but not by a lot
The VSF was too close to call. It may be slightly lower backwards, but only listening will settle this.

As to comparing the two caps, I had to scroll back and forth multiple times. After looking at the two, I think all testing will be with the Duelund VSF, backwards.

Attachments

• IMG_1577.jpg
    IMG_1577.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 210
  • IMG_1580.jpg
    IMG_1580.jpg
    978.8 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_1579.jpg
    IMG_1579.jpg
    1,015.2 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_1582.jpg
    IMG_1582.jpg
    979.3 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_1581.jpg
    IMG_1581.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 205
  • IMG_1584.jpg
    IMG_1584.jpg
    933.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1583.jpg
    IMG_1583.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1586.jpg
    IMG_1586.jpg
    984.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1585.jpg
    IMG_1585.jpg
    1,003.2 KB · Views: 35
Had an Accuton BD25 tweeter laying around? I remember it testing very well. I am using a pair in my present speaker, and with the exception of power compression (there you go erik) at concert hall levels, it's an incredible tweeter.

I didn't have any fancy hookup wire available, so I used a spare piece of Litz 50/32, already tinned.

I first tested the Accuton, with the Litz (pic. 1).
I than soldered the Litz to the Mundorf (pic. 2).

Wayyyyyyy better CSD. I am now very very happy with the Mundorf AMT. It keeps pace with one of my favorite tweeters.

Please don't turn this into a wire discussion.

Attachments

• IMG_1595.jpg
    IMG_1595.jpg
    992.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1597.jpg
    IMG_1597.jpg
    1,012.1 KB · Views: 66
Had an Accuton BD25 tweeter laying around? I remember it testing very well. I am using a pair in my present speaker, and with the exception of power compression (there you go erik) at concert hall levels, it's an incredible tweeter.

I didn't have any fancy hookup wire available, so I used a spare piece of Litz 50/32, already tinned.

I first tested the Accuton, with the Litz (pic. 1).
I than soldered the Litz to the Mundorf (pic. 2).

Wayyyyyyy better CSD. I am now very very happy with the Mundorf AMT. It keeps pace with one of my favorite tweeters.

Please don't turn this into a wire discussion.

Hi Billy,

Do you have distortion measurements and a clean frequency measurement? I'd like to see how low it can be crossed.

Thanks!

Jim

Hello Jim

Unfortunately, I'm not very bright. Please be exact in exacting exactly what you'd like me to measure!. What distance? What volume? Value of safety caps? etc.

Since the Acoustic Elegance drivers are still 7 months away, I can test whatever your heart desires.

Have I mentioned you need to be exact?

Hi Billy,

I'm a follower rather than a measure guru. I can't advise how to get there beyond 96 db Is the most used volume and speakers are normally measured at one meter. Software is something I can't give any direction on.

Sorry!

Jim

Jim, here you go.

1 meter, 96dB, single 68uF safety cap, 1/24th of an octave steps, 1/3 octave smoothing.

A 'buzz?'. In all my testing, there's a slight buzz around 1200Hz. There is also a small jump in distortion, both D2 and D3, around this frequency. There is another thread going right now. The OP talks about a buzzing sound during music play. Conclusion; you must cross this tweeter WELL above 1200Hz.

Before 4000Hz there are two major dips. After 4KHz output is very good. I will be crossing this Mundorf AMT to two Accuton C51 2" midranges, D'Apppolito, between 4K and 5KHz. At least I hope this works?

I'll start a new thread for the Accuton's.

Thank you all for following this thread.

Attachments

• IMG_1619.jpg
    IMG_1619.jpg
    864.3 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_1618.jpg
    IMG_1618.jpg
    990.4 KB · Views: 145
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.