Sanity check on compression drivers for 811B horns

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No, it's not used for hifi Greg. I believe you have seen the Altec 828 box with the 511/811 horn combo mounted on top a few times.

Now that I think about it, it's actually the Selenium 250 mid driver using the adapter on the 511 horn. The 205 is a bolt on. Sorry for the confusion.

Yes, do recall now that you mentioned it, :( just didn't put it together with this thread. Don't remember seeing a 205 in my recent search, all the 1" I found are screw on.

GM

Here is the (now discontinued) D205Ti bolt-on.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 10.26.39 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 10.26.39 AM.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 86
Here's what I did for an adapter if Tjj is interested.
Start with a plastic PA speaker pole mount and modify it by cutting and adding set screws to grip the driver.

What are your thoughts about this adapter from amazon?

Amazon.com: Screw-On Adapter Plate for 1 3/8" Driver To Fit 1" Bolt-On Horn Flare (Metal): Home Audio & Theater

For 10 bucks a piece, Im not sure I can DIY a better adapter for cheaper.

The only hesitation I have with these adapters is that the price doesn't make sense. That is a nice hefty chunk of metal for 10 bucks. Seems odd.

The only hesitation I have with these adapters is that the price doesn't make sense. That is a nice hefty chunk of metal for 10 bucks. Seems odd.
Considering they are selling complete 1 3/8" thread on drivers for only double that cost, seems like a "sensible", comparatively high price.
Hopefully the bolt holes line up with the threaded hole, and the threads are clean.

What are your thoughts about this adapter from amazon?
Good deal. For $10, I think I made about $2/hr making my own :)
Hopefully the bolt holes line up with the threaded hole, and the threads are clean.
Easily measured on the horn before purchase. That said, there were standards for that sort of thing. The D205's (upper horn) bolted right on to the 811.

Attachments

• IMG_0325.jpg
    IMG_0325.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 78
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.