Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Adding 2 more drivers to an arleady finished speaker/crossover
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th February 2020, 03:49 AM   #1
synaps is offline synaps
diyAudio Member

Default Adding 2 more drivers to an arleady finished speaker/crossover

Hello everyone, first of all, i would like to apologise for my bad english
This is my first post here, i'm really new in speaker building.
My current speakers are the following: WWMT
-Dayton RS225-4
-Satori MR13PNW-8
-Tymphany DA25TX00-08

Passive crossover, the woofer/midrange cross point is at 600hz. The woofers and mid/tw cabinet is internally separated. Now what i was thinking is to transform them in a WWMTWW configuration (think of Triangle Magellan Cello vs Magellan Grande Concerto). Basically to add on top of the speaker another woofers section. The current woofers are the 4ohm version so i was thinking about two rs225 (8 ohm model) wired in parallel on top and two down. The thing that really worries me is the 5 dB difference between the two models. Would it work? Any ideas and help would be much appreciated.
Old 15th February 2020, 05:35 AM   #2
googlyone is offline googlyone  Australia
diyAudio Member

Anything can be "made" to work after a fashion.

The questions you are going to have to address are
-1- is it worth the effort?

-2- does it give you a benefit over what you have?

I don't know your speakers. As a wild generalisation though, if there is something about the bass that worries you, adding an extra pair of otherwise similar drivers is not likely to make a big difference.

If it is the timbre of sound, the old drivers will be there still. If it is lack of bass, same issue.

Replacing ALL of them with different drivers that address your concern does make sense.

You of course would need to modify both the enclosure and crossover.

-2- is it worth it? Well if you are not happy, yes.

My experience though is that "more is not necessarily better."

Two sorts of woofers is definitely "more" and a big difference in sensitivity, let alone impedance and frequency response, is asking for complications.

Getting it right is the question you should be pondering.
Old 15th February 2020, 07:43 PM   #3
eriksquires is offline eriksquires  United States
diyAudio Member

Consider going with a 2 channel plate amp with built in EQ/crossover.

You feed the MTM section from one channel, the woofers from another. Let the plate amp do the 300 Hz crossover, but leave the mid to tweeter crossover in place.

Most problems solved, and you add EQ capabilities.

Adding 2 more drivers to an arleady finished speaker/crossoverHide this!Advertise here!