Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Dayton audio DCS380-4  VS. Eminence Alpha 15A: the battle of the budget woofers
Dayton audio DCS380-4  VS. Eminence Alpha 15A: the battle of the budget woofers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th February 2020, 01:30 AM   #1
Dadbeh is online now Dadbeh  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Dayton audio DCS380-4 VS. Eminence Alpha 15A: the battle of the budget woofers

I just put together an open baffle with a full range driver and only wish to add a subwoofer crossed over around 100hz on the same baffle and completely open. i already have two eminence Alpha 15As that sound decent but i just found this subwoofer with higher Qts and lower resonance frequency. I realize that 15A is really a woofer designed to cover a wider range and the Dayton is really just a sub. I will be using these (,aybe 4 of them, 2 per side) under 100hz.

the only reason that I'm opening this thread the reviews on the dayton audio are only from people with vintage box speakers. I want to know for my open baffle use with the front baffle that measures 16 high and 24 wide (meanibng that each driver will be mounted on a 16 by 24 inches panel and then mounted on top of the one below it so that the 1 full range driver and the two woofers per sinde each having their own 16 by 26 panel make up the front baffle that will be 4 feet tall), is there a reason to not go with the dayton? any 1st hand experience?

Last edited by Dadbeh; 15th February 2020 at 01:36 AM.
Old 15th February 2020, 01:55 AM   #2
jjasniew is offline jjasniew  United States
diyAudio Member

I looked up the DCS380-4 (I know - get a life...) and the Qts=0.44. The Alpha 15A is 1.26.

With its half-roll suspension (versus accordion), the DCS380-4 looks a lot "floppier" - with its 21.5Hz Fs... I wonder if it'll work well as an assistant in an OB?
Old 15th February 2020, 03:20 AM   #3
Dadbeh is online now Dadbeh  United States
diyAudio Member

yeah i didnt realize that the Qt of the alpha 15 in that high. that decideds it. i will stick with the A15s and I might add a second pair for two woofers in parallel per side.

Dayton audio DCS380-4  VS. Eminence Alpha 15A: the battle of the budget woofersHide this!Advertise here!