New user. First speaker build. All the usual questions!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
...hurricane force 2 wind speeds...

Yep, certain papers had headlines like THE WEEKEND FROM HELL and WORST WEEKEND ON RECORD TO HIT THE UK and pretty much THE END IS NIGH.

It's been pretty windy but nothing like the headlines. I have put 4 bricks on my wheelie bin for tomorrow morning though, and unfortunately the boss is going away so I'm looking after the farm from Tuesday till the end of next weekend... I hope it calms down by then. I don't want to be chasing ring feeders across fields or getting properly stuck under a large panel of corrugated sheet steel that would blow on to the motorway if I let it go. Not again. Once was enough.

Oh, work, good times eh.

Cheap ebay wind-o-meter hung as far as possible out of a few windows on different sides of the house....

Maximum speed recorded:

1: west facing - 16.8khm/h
2: north facing - 13.5km/h
3: south facing - 28.4km/h

I think I'll take this thing to work and see what the results are in the middle of a field.

Well today is the morning after a day of wild ADHD (yes for real, not using it for giggles) creation.

I'll be glad to see these things done, they'll be like mini floorstanders with bugger all bass which you need to listen to at least 30˚ off axis to get a semi reasonable trebble experience, so I can get on with designing something more appropriate:

My advice to you is to have your 'car speakers in the house' moment, and when you tire of that, move on to designing some proper hi-fi speakers. :)

This has been the best post on the thread so far. So dead on the money.
(on that subject, can anyone recommend a good place to buy drivers in the UK?)

Perhaps I will make a subwoofer to match up with those poppy hummy beheingers. Hmm... No... Probably not.

Anyways, back to work, the ADHD flow will be broken up with chasing cows about and feeding ungrateful breasts I'll get a little done here and there throughout the week, who knows what time will be presented to me. Thanks for all your input so far:)

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
@nigelwright7557 - Nice, they're bookmarked but I'll remember that club thing, ta.

@planet10 - Thanks for another one to bookmark. I had no idea there were that many in the UK. Everyone online seems to be "dayton audio, parts express, dayton, parts express, repeat repeat repeat bla bla bla" so it's good to see locals (well, same country) selling the stuff I'm interested in.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It is broad, but i keep seeing comments about stuff they sell that is not very well executed. Some of their boxes/XOs for example.

Im mostly interested in the FRs. They have Fostex (they are advertising F200A, long discontinued and highly reviered as one of the best Fostex ever). I’d buy Jordan direct (have a pair, too much money doe performance not up to similar size Mark Audios), some of teh Fountek are decent cheap small drivers (haven’t tried any but the FE88ex) — maybe nt=ot, price is each. The FF85wk and Alpair 5.2/3 are decidely better. The Peerlless look to be from the same germ as the VIFA TC9 so i would be excedingly careful about them.

I didn’t go so far as to check if the prices have VAT on them or not.

dave

No progress since the weekend, because work has been murdering me:(

I was thinking about this post earlier, specifically just how right it is, and how I've been there before with another project.

Passive radiators are much more complicated than just including some random, unpowered drivers in a box. I wouldn't go there if I were you!

My advice to you is to have your 'car speakers in the house' moment, and when you tire of that, move on to designing some proper hi-fi speakers. :)

I used to make a few knives... Stock removal style: shaping and grinding bevels, heat treat, and handles. About 7-8 years back me and a friend got talking, fairly early on in the journey (I hadn't perfected my home heat treatment back then) one drunken / smokey night. I offered to show him how to make a knife. We'd design it, I'd make one, and show him each process so that he could make one too.

The point being, him having never made a knife before, and me having made only a few at the time with varying degrees of success, we got all excited - Our design had a couple fantastic new ideas that we were amazed no one had thought of yet. Of course, being a bit mentally altered and excitable and new to it, we designed what I would call the heaviest and least useful knife I have ever made. A 4mm thick, single bevel, chisel ended behemoth. Mine snapped eventually (hadn't figured heat treat yet) but his lives on and occasionally comes out on camping trips. Pics of mine below. It weighs a ton and can't actually chop for toffee because of the single bevel, WTF were we thinking?!

It taught me not try and redesign the wheel. By the time I'd figured my heat treat out the last knife I made was a very simple, small, light, handy little fixed blade with a very good heat treat and no gimmicks. It comes along every camping trip and is wonderfully useful. (Ironically I also made a small/lightweight/handy chisel tipped blade alongside it... It's in my tool box and is proper useful for beating on things.)

So...

@Galu - thanks dude, I genuinely really needed that reminder!:D

I've been there before as described above. I've just got to keep it simple, get them made when I have the time, learn the basics and whatever I can from the process, have my fun with them, then move on to something a little more hi-fi when the time is right.

I don't want to end up making the speaker equivalent of those nearly useless heavy monstrosities that were all set to revolutionise the knife-making world - Until they got made!

See my snapped one below. What were we smoking?!?!

Attachments

• P1130663.JPG
    P1130663.JPG
    353.3 KB · Views: 62
  • P1130664.JPG
    P1130664.JPG
    325.4 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.