Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

New user. First speaker build. All the usual questions!!
New user. First speaker build. All the usual questions!! Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th February 2020, 10:03 PM   #71
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
"dayton audio, parts express, dayton, parts express, repeat repeat repeat bla bla bla"
Dayton is PE’s house brand.

dave
Old 17th February 2020, 10:14 PM   #72
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
...but of late i get the impression that they have lost their edge
It's a shame to leave that hanging in the air. I haven't dealt with them for some time, but their product ranges and services look as broad and as active as ever.
Wilmslow Audio Ltd - Home | Facebook
Old 17th February 2020, 11:03 PM   #73
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

It is broad, but i keep seeing comments about stuff they sell that is not very well executed. Some of their boxes/XOs for example.

Im mostly interested in the FRs. They have Fostex (they are advertising F200A, long discontinued and highly reviered as one of the best Fostex ever). I’d buy Jordan direct (have a pair, too much money doe performance not up to similar size Mark Audios), some of teh Fountek are decent cheap small drivers (haven’t tried any but the FE88ex) — maybe nt=ot, price is each. The FF85wk and Alpair 5.2/3 are decidely better. The Peerlless look to be from the same germ as the VIFA TC9 so i would be excedingly careful about them.

I didn’t go so far as to check if the prices have VAT on them or not.

dave
Old 17th February 2020, 11:22 PM   #74
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Prices exclude VAT.
Old 17th February 2020, 11:39 PM   #75
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Then from looking at the prices i do know, the old maxim of price in UK = Price in US, but UK in GBP and in the US $USD.

The Mark Audios Stefan sells are very competitive with US prices.

dave
Old 18th February 2020, 09:11 PM   #76
jjams82 is offline jjams82  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

No progress since the weekend, because work has been murdering me

I was thinking about this post earlier, specifically just how right it is, and how I've been there before with another project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galu View Post
Passive radiators are much more complicated than just including some random, unpowered drivers in a box. I wouldn't go there if I were you!

My advice to you is to have your 'car speakers in the house' moment, and when you tire of that, move on to designing some proper hi-fi speakers.
I used to make a few knives... Stock removal style: shaping and grinding bevels, heat treat, and handles. About 7-8 years back me and a friend got talking, fairly early on in the journey (I hadn't perfected my home heat treatment back then) one drunken / smokey night. I offered to show him how to make a knife. We'd design it, I'd make one, and show him each process so that he could make one too.

The point being, him having never made a knife before, and me having made only a few at the time with varying degrees of success, we got all excited - Our design had a couple fantastic new ideas that we were amazed no one had thought of yet. Of course, being a bit mentally altered and excitable and new to it, we designed what I would call the heaviest and least useful knife I have ever made. A 4mm thick, single bevel, chisel ended behemoth. Mine snapped eventually (hadn't figured heat treat yet) but his lives on and occasionally comes out on camping trips. Pics of mine below. It weighs a ton and can't actually chop for toffee because of the single bevel, WTF were we thinking?!

It taught me not try and redesign the wheel. By the time I'd figured my heat treat out the last knife I made was a very simple, small, light, handy little fixed blade with a very good heat treat and no gimmicks. It comes along every camping trip and is wonderfully useful. (Ironically I also made a small/lightweight/handy chisel tipped blade alongside it... It's in my tool box and is proper useful for beating on things.)

So...

@Galu - thanks dude, I genuinely really needed that reminder!

I've been there before as described above. I've just got to keep it simple, get them made when I have the time, learn the basics and whatever I can from the process, have my fun with them, then move on to something a little more hi-fi when the time is right.

I don't want to end up making the speaker equivalent of those nearly useless heavy monstrosities that were all set to revolutionise the knife-making world - Until they got made!

See my snapped one below. What were we smoking?!?!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1130663.JPG (353.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg P1130664.JPG (325.4 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by jjams82; 18th February 2020 at 09:13 PM.

New user. First speaker build. All the usual questions!!Hide this!Advertise here!