(Beginner) An attempt to improve my speakers, help appreciated.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Woofers appear as decently built, only remains to check acoustical performance. When you get your equipment ready, you will know/report back, perhaps.

Nice to hear, of course measuring is the next step, I'm planning on DATS V3 and UMIK-1, however I would like some input on how to use WinISD to see what drivers might be suitable for my MTM enclosure before proceeding into purchasing measuring equipment, please refer to the post prior to yours that I quoted here, you'll find my questions.

The curve within WinISD basically refers to the dynamic response of the driver when simulated into the enclosure specified?

You want your target to be Qtc 0.707?

Thanks.

I am not a winisd user, people frequently report issues on understanding how to use it. There is another thread covering answers and I am sure fans will help you with that. In regard to Qtc, I aim most of the time for about 1.0 because this way it sounds acceptably good.

I am not a winisd user, people frequently report issues on understanding how to use it. There is another thread covering answers and I am sure fans will help you with that. In regard to Qtc, I aim most of the time for about 1.0 because this way it sounds acceptably good.

I think I just got the hang of it, thanks.

Why do you aim for 1.0, you mean 0.707 sounds bad for a sealed enclosure?

You see, I have Dolby Atmos upfiring speakers too, and these use a bigger tweeter than the one I have been looking at, and the one that's currently in my F/R channel speakers, it's 30mm instead of 25mm, also uses a waveguide, which I think could further improve the off-axis response from my towers and center channel.

I opened my center channel up and unfortunately there's not enough room to place the midrange/woofers more closely to the outer edges of the cabinet (with a new baffle) to accomodate for the larger tweeter that is 115mm instead of the original 100mm.

So the idea of creating my own baffles sort of died on me, I see no point when I can't fit the drivers that I want to, instead I'll just have to refer to the 100mm limitation of the tweeter and focus on finding the best possible (SB Acoustics SB26STAC-C000-4) and narrow down my area of improvement to the midrange and center channel woofers.

Maybe just changing out the tweeter and mids on your towers and CC is the way to go, but it's worth noting a couple of things.

Tweeter face plates can be modified. You can cut them or grind them down to make them possibly fit tighter spaces. For eg like this - The Speedsters

It is also possible to change the tweeter recess cutout on your existing speakers to accommodate a different size face plate. It involves a couple of steps and a router and circle jig, but it's not too difficult especially if you practice on some scrap beforehand.

If you are looking for waveguide tweeters, you'll be perhaps slightly more restricted in terms of face plate modifications but here are a few that can be recommended:

SB Acoustics SB26STWGC-4 Fabric Dome Tweeter with Wave Guide
TW030WA11 - Solen Electronique Inc.
27TBCD/GBDXT - Solen Electronique Inc.

Maybe just changing out the tweeter and mids on your towers and CC is the way to go, but it's worth noting a couple of things.

Tweeter face plates can be modified. You can cut them or grind them down to make them possibly fit tighter spaces. For eg like this - The Speedsters

It is also possible to change the tweeter recess cutout on your existing speakers to accommodate a different size face plate. It involves a couple of steps and a router and circle jig, but it's not too difficult especially if you practice on some scrap beforehand.

If you are looking for waveguide tweeters, you'll be perhaps slightly more restricted in terms of face plate modifications but here are a few that can be recommended:

SB Acoustics SB26STWGC-4 Fabric Dome Tweeter with Wave Guide
TW030WA11 - Solen Electronique Inc.
27TBCD/GBDXT - Solen Electronique Inc.

Yeah, absolutely spot on bro, thank you very much.

We're both talking about the same stuff, actually the TW030WA11 is the one fitted in my Dolby Atmos speakers, and that's the one I had hopes of fitting inside the current CC baffle.

Everything can be modified, of course, but the baffles of my speakers are clearcoated, I simply don't dare to router in clearcoat, I'm afraid it'll chip and the whole front is ruined.

Sure, it's a cheap speaker, but it still looks good as a whole, wouldn't really be of any positive outcome to have the cabinet ruined by the end the project.

I've routered plenty before, I always 3D sketch and send plate guides for waterjet-cutting, simply clamp them down and just router the heck out of it, there's no way the final design is any different than from the 3D sketch in the computer, high tolerance/precision work!

Routering is not the issue here, the clearcoat is.

New baffles is just too much work for the rather simple improvement I'm trying to achieve here, although it'd be the best option, I'm still limited by the CC cabinet/enclosure, so there you go.

Replacing MTM's is what will get me there, I think.

Thanks a bunch!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.