Crazy crossover possible?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
open baffle 33" W x 55" H where I gain 6db boost from floor reflection for woofers and IF they could be run parallel as 4 ohm load then another 3db boost in sensitivity. The DCR of the coil is 1.48 ohms which would add resistance to the pair and keep them above 4 ohms which is preferred; this is why I didn't think the full ranger was going to cause problems with overpowering the bass units and it's true sensitivity is not 100db but closer to 95 according to others who have measure them.

Great, a small victory! Both you and AllenB have been very helpful but this is not easy for me to understand. My goal was to use 2 woofers for increased bass, increased sensitivity with one Full ranger in an open baffle configuration with the least amount of crossover components possible-preferable just an inductor. I was also going to either suspend in free air or make a pyramid shaped top to the speaker baffle so that there would be minimal area around the full ranger thus significantly reducing its low frequency output and not cause interference with the 2 woofers. I still think it can work if I ran 2 woofers in parallel with the inductor (8+8)/2=4 ohms + 1.48 ohms (coil)= 5.48 ohms while the full ranger is still an 8 ohm load and less sensitive??? It may be time for a glass of Hennesy at this point while I mull over all of the great suggestions you guys have made!

The DC resistance of the coil is already included in the impedance figure, it does not add to it.

I still think my post #2 is the solution. The component values would be easy to calculate for the inductor in series with the 4 ohm woofer combination and the capacitor in series with the 8 ohm full range. This is the correct way to produce the desired amplifier load.

P.S. Just saw your last reply!

@ntell411 - Generally, going with separate amplifiers makes the option of doing crossover at the line level - versus the speaker level - a distinct possibility. Certainly more inconvenient than being able to just use one amp, but offers greater flexibility.

Also, if you do that, you can enter the world of DSP processing. This allows you to create your "crossover" in software using an app and immediately see how you like its sound. I've done this using a miniDSP (V1...) and while I dont like its overall sound for listening pleasure, it still allows me to quickly and easily try different responses - the equivalent of circuit topologies in R's, C's and L's - in a small fraction of the time it would take to buy components and build.

For example, my "initial guess" was 250Hz. I quickly found out I dont want to cross there - by listening. Then I tried 70 - OK. Let's see if I can nudge it a bit higher, try 100. Good. You can do this almost as fast as I can type these words - a no brainer decision from my perspective.

Once you get a sound you like (or have measured as Good) dialed in, then you can attempt to replicate it in an all-analog hardware design. As a DSP line level crossover abstracts what it's doing in a language we all universally understand, I'm sure many here would be able to show how to do exactly that. Line or at speaker level.

Last edited:
Just to clarify: When I look at the impedance graph of the Goldwood woofer, it dips below 6 ohms at certain frequencies from 40-250hz so that if I use two of them in parallel (<6+<6)/2=<3 leading to<3 ohm load to amplifier. The inductor I want to use (low pass at 250hz) has a DCR of 1.48 ohms. Would that raise the overall impedance of the woofers above 3 ohms and make it a safer load for the amplifier as I prefer one amplifier for the entire system.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
with one Full ranger in an open baffle configuration with the least amount of crossover components possible-preferable just an inductor. I was also going to either suspend in free air or make a pyramid shaped top to the speaker baffle so that there would be minimal area around the full ranger thus significantly reducing its low frequency output and not cause interference with the 2 woofers.
If you use your full-range in an open baffle with no crossover, its cone may move too far from its quiescent point. This is the driver you want to produce mids and highs, don't make its life too hard.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.