Crazy crossover possible?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If ONE 8 ohm woofer is used with ONE 8 ohm fullrange with only an inductor as low pass on woofer, will that not present an 8 ohm load to the amplifier and be considered a first order 2 way system? I simply want to add a 2nd 8 ohm woofer as a helper woofer with another inductor at a lower frequency (100hz) to create a 3 way first order system with an 8 ohm load to amplifier? I don't think it is about wiring in series or parallel but dividing the signal from the amplifier 3 ways like a branch of a tree: lst branch is through inductor 1 to woofer 1; 2nd branch goes through inductor 2 to woofer 2 and 3rd branch goes directly to fullrange driver. Why will this not work?

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Yes, this takes care of part of the problem, but your drivers would still benefit from being crossed so they work together acoustically.

About your first question and the inductors, they disappear at low frequencies. This makes all the woofers work together. What you want to do is to prevent the other drivers covering the same frequency range because this is the way the amp sees it too. For example, both a cap and a coil.

Note: typing while AllenB posted.

ntell, please listen.
In order to protect your amplifier and the driver itself, you should put a cap on the FR unit. With two 18" providing the bass, there's no purpose in having the FR attempt it as well. In fact, it is likely to take away from the system in more than one way.
Second, two 18's will most often have a higher power handling than a single 12" FR. Don't take away from them by sacrificing the FR
Third, you should consider going smaller with the FR unit. It will have better highs and better dispersion.
Please do a little research on this before you post again as your kick-back flies in the face of speaker common sense.

I think I understand what you are looking for, trust me. Please listen to those in the know. Funny thing is, I am not one of those really. I often look to the diyAudio members to assist me. My term speakerholic is as accurate as it gets. All in and then deal with the consequences.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Ok guys. I will look elsewhere as Pure Audio Project Trio series seems to have done what I am trying to do with 2 large woofers, 1 full range driver and a 2 way first order crossover yielding exceptional results! I will give up on the 3 way and focus on the 2 way design that they use. Thanks for everyone's input.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
models are supplied with our unique Leonidas Crossover. The Leonidas Crossover is a series topology two way first order crossover
Q: How does Leonidas Crossover work ?
A: Differently from typical two way crossover topology, Leonidas Crossover connects the drivers in serial, allowing them to perform independently in their main frequency range (woofers at the lows and FR at the mid and highs), while playing together and in a perfect phase in the so-called ‘cross range’. That range and the SPL balancing between the drivers are defined by the values of the components. The coil dominants mainly the woofers, the capacitor dominants mainly the FR (or tweeter) and the resistors are responsible mainly on the SPL balance between the two…

Attachments

• trio.jpg
    trio.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 67
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
If you use 2x 4 ohm woofers in series like I think someone suggested, then you will end up with 8 ohms all the way more or less. A good result.

We could probably get you started with some values once the information rolls in. The Trio website then talks about tweaking..

I would call that a 'quarter section, series' circuit.

Component values for 12 ohm (the average of your 8 ohm full range and 16 ohm series woofers) would be around 6mH and 28uF at a crossover frequency of 400Hz.

The difference in sensitivity betwen the full range and the woofers would still be a problem.

Impedance seen by amp would be no less than 8 ohm in your case.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
The values of the resistors could be used to manipulate the full-range into looking higher than 8 ohms.

The woofers should be chosen with thought to their sensitivity.

By the way ntell, are you thinking of running these in closed boxes?

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2020-02-15 11-47-43.png
    Screenshot from 2020-02-15 11-47-43.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 68
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.