Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Crazy crossover possible?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th February 2020, 08:23 PM   #21
PeteMcK is offline PeteMcK
diyAudio Member

Re: ' why I cannot use 2 woofers and 1 fullrange driver (all 8 ohms" - if wired in parallel, impedance will drop to ~ 2.66 ohms below 100 Hz....
Old 14th February 2020, 08:58 PM   #22
ntell411 is offline ntell411
diyAudio Member

If ONE 8 ohm woofer is used with ONE 8 ohm fullrange with only an inductor as low pass on woofer, will that not present an 8 ohm load to the amplifier and be considered a first order 2 way system? I simply want to add a 2nd 8 ohm woofer as a helper woofer with another inductor at a lower frequency (100hz) to create a 3 way first order system with an 8 ohm load to amplifier? I don't think it is about wiring in series or parallel but dividing the signal from the amplifier 3 ways like a branch of a tree: lst branch is through inductor 1 to woofer 1; 2nd branch goes through inductor 2 to woofer 2 and 3rd branch goes directly to fullrange driver. Why will this not work?
Old 14th February 2020, 09:23 PM   #23
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntell411 View Post
Why will this not work?
Because your full range driver is way too sensitive compared to your woofers.
Old 14th February 2020, 09:44 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Default re: because your full range driver is too sensitive for woofers

I can use a resistor or L-pad on the full range driver or 2 amps with adjustable gain-yes?
Old 14th February 2020, 10:09 PM   #25
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Moderator

Yes, this takes care of part of the problem, but your drivers would still benefit from being crossed so they work together acoustically.

About your first question and the inductors, they disappear at low frequencies. This makes all the woofers work together. What you want to do is to prevent the other drivers covering the same frequency range because this is the way the amp sees it too. For example, both a cap and a coil.
Old 14th February 2020, 10:13 PM   #26
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Note: typing while AllenB posted.

ntell, please listen.
In order to protect your amplifier and the driver itself, you should put a cap on the FR unit. With two 18" providing the bass, there's no purpose in having the FR attempt it as well. In fact, it is likely to take away from the system in more than one way.
Second, two 18's will most often have a higher power handling than a single 12" FR. Don't take away from them by sacrificing the FR
Third, you should consider going smaller with the FR unit. It will have better highs and better dispersion.
Please do a little research on this before you post again as your kick-back flies in the face of speaker common sense.

I think I understand what you are looking for, trust me. Please listen to those in the know. Funny thing is, I am not one of those really. I often look to the diyAudio members to assist me. My term speakerholic is as accurate as it gets. All in and then deal with the consequences.
Cheers.

Last edited by Cal Weldon; 14th February 2020 at 10:18 PM. Reason: added
Old 14th February 2020, 10:45 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Ok guys. I will look elsewhere as Pure Audio Project Trio series seems to have done what I am trying to do with 2 large woofers, 1 full range driver and a 2 way first order crossover yielding exceptional results! I will give up on the 3 way and focus on the 2 way design that they use. Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 14th February 2020, 11:16 PM   #28
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntell411 View Post
Pure Audio Project Trio
Can you post a link to the one you're thinking of?
Old 14th February 2020, 11:49 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Default requested link

Trio15 Open Baffle Speakers
Old 15th February 2020, 12:00 AM   #30
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
models are supplied with our unique Leonidas Crossover. The Leonidas Crossover is a series topology two way first order crossover
Quote:
Q: How does Leonidas Crossover work ?
A: Differently from typical two way crossover topology, Leonidas Crossover connects the drivers in serial, allowing them to perform independently in their main frequency range (woofers at the lows and FR at the mid and highs), while playing together and in a perfect phase in the so-called ‘cross range’. That range and the SPL balancing between the drivers are defined by the values of the components. The coil dominants mainly the woofers, the capacitor dominants mainly the FR (or tweeter) and the resistors are responsible mainly on the SPL balance between the two…
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trio.jpg (311.5 KB, 47 views)

Crazy crossover possible?Hide this!Advertise here!