Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Corner horns as bass traps?
Corner horns as bass traps? Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th February 2020, 06:45 PM   #1
eriksquires is offline eriksquires  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Corner horns as bass traps?

I have a question for the physicists here. I've wondered this for a while, and once I read a blog which discussed it, but would something like a Klipschorn make a good bass trap, if we replaced the driver with progressively denser sound absorbent materials?

The blog I read didn't say much, except maybe one line that he had two empty folded horns in the opposite corners acting as bass traps.

How would we gauge the efficacy of this without actually doing it? What would the rules be for a bass trap that apply?

Thanks,

Erik
Old 12th February 2020, 07:12 PM   #2
craigtone is offline craigtone  United States
diyAudio Member

Hmm ... you just got me thinking! I have Khorns in my room and recently started playing with Lii Audio F-15's in an OB. I wonder if the Khorns are robbing some of my bass since they sit behind the OB's?

I am planning to take some room measurements this week ... will have to take some before and after removal to compare. Or better yet, leave them there and block the ports to ensure the difference is not the increased volume behind the baffle.

Last edited by craigtone; 12th February 2020 at 07:15 PM.
Old 13th February 2020, 02:29 AM   #3
boswald is offline boswald  United States
diyAudio Member

With OBs, a bass trap behind should help, as if you'd pulled the baffles further from the walls, a virtually distanced reflective corner.
Kind of cool, folks could use OBs in smaller rooms if it works that way.

If you could measure at a couple of distances from the horns, it might help us see what's going on. Maybe two to one on the distances?
Old 13th February 2020, 04:36 AM   #4
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksquires View Post
didn't say much, except maybe one line that he had two empty folded horns in the opposite corners acting as bass traps.
Do you think this could have been a throwaway comment? Anyway, I started thinking about the concept and things weren't adding up.
Old 13th February 2020, 06:20 AM   #5
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

you could try one leg of an L-pad across the basshorn speaker and see/hear what happens as the shunt resistance is varied. The split mouth could be blocked if causing problems.
Old 13th February 2020, 07:10 AM   #6
pelanj is offline pelanj  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

I always wondered if there is any influence of the unused speakers in the room on the ones that are in use.
Old Today, 12:48 AM   #7
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

with the old K15 Karlson, I noticed the K15 not hooked up to anything could play over an octave of bass and add spl - don't remember reflex acting like that.
Old Today, 01:22 AM   #8
Top Shelf is offline Top Shelf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Might work for bass the way that spiral rear chamber is used on that nautilus type speaker from B&W.

Last edited by Top Shelf; Today at 01:25 AM.
Old Today, 02:09 PM   #9
homebuilder is offline homebuilder  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Trap

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddi View Post
with the old K15 Karlson, I noticed the K15 not hooked up to anything could play over an octave of bass and add spl - don't remember reflex acting like that.
Read the comments about the Jensen horn over on the Decware site.

Corner horns as bass traps?Hide this!Advertise here!