Samsung's Convergence

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I found it interesting the garbage in-garbage out analysis........a recording is garbage when it sounds bad on very expensive speakers?.........I find that most listeners and hifi enthusiasts aren’t familiar with the production process......the mastering process and the intention of the mastering engineer.........particularly the pop tracks. And the mix engineer who intentionally loads his tracks with audible even order harmonic distortion via overdriven tape machine preamps.........Garbage?.........one man’s refuse is another’s rescue!

Yes!.....some material sounds better on one speaker over another lending itself that the speaker may be overall a better performer.....which simply isn’t the case. Predominant recordings of consistent genres define loudspeaker performance as much as the design themselves. BIG horns, large format woofers that do not suffer from power compression (a forgotten qualifier in this and many similiar discussions) will always excell with loud classical recordings with dynamics....it’s their ‘forte’ while a smaller Genelec concentric on stands in a well treated room will sound breath taking with chamber cellos or a jazz trio.

So....my arguement from the production side( there are MANY unwritten and closely held disciplines here) is IF you listen to many genres of widely different context.....say Djent Metal to solo classical guitar.......you’re gonna need more than one speaker system if you’re a dedicated enthusiast........as a speaker is still just a tool. A luthier may choose to use an ornate chisel with bone carved handle and brass butt because it inspires.....as does beautiful veneer and hand rubbed nitrocellulose lacquer.

I can add one thing that I have consistently found in regards to imaging.......narrow baffles with rounded edges excell regardless of genre. If there was only a way to engage low power compression and high dynamic capability in such a small enclosure!

So....my arguement from the production side( there are MANY unwritten and closely held disciplines here) is IF you listen to many genres of widely different context.....say Djent Metal to solo classical guitar.......you’re gonna need more than one speaker system if you’re a dedicated enthusiast........as a speaker is still just a tool.

...or You need a Beolab 90 or Lexicon SL-1 or other similar tool

alternatively You need to arrange Your listening setup so that You can control and balance the direct and the reflected sound through adjusting the loudspeaker position and direction

...because the question of beam width is just about that - the level and quality of the reflected sound

......but some very dry recordings sound better in room with reflected sound and stored energy......there literally is no baseline

But i’d Agree with Patrick that the performance goals of today’s better systems are merging
......and we also have mix and mastering engineers optimizing their tracks for portable systems and cars as well as thump and splash headphones....our ‘thing’ is a constantly shrinking discipline and market.

I have yet to experience that BeoLab system but would like to.

......but some very dry recordings sound better in room with reflected sound and stored energy......there literally is no baseline

OTOH most of such deficiences could be compensated by means of flexible room-speaker interface ie. adjustable stands (height, toeing and tilting) and adjustable acoustical treatment, alas we haven't got many on the consumer market

......and we also have mix and mastering engineers optimizing their tracks for portable systems and cars as well as thump and splash headphones....

yeah, all that can be done is to equalize back by means of a high quality parametric equalizer, alas we haven't got any on the consumer market

...ever more complicated, ever more expensive, ever bigger loudspeakers instead

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.