Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Samsung's Convergence
Samsung's Convergence
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th February 2020, 11:31 PM   #21
fluid is offline fluid  Australia
diyAudio Member

This part in Floyd Toole's Third edition of Sound Reproduction couldn't say it any clearer

11.5 Flat, Direct Sound Is an Enduring Favorite
Starting with my earliest listening tests in the late 1960s, through a prolific research period in the 1980s (see Figure 5.2), up to the present (see Chapter 12), it has been a monotonous truth that in double-blind listening tests, the highest rated loudspeakers had the flattest, smoothest on-axis and listening-window frequency responses. Listeners liked neutral, uncolored, direct sound. Beyond that, loudspeakers that exhibited similarly good behavior off-axis achieved even higher scoresóreflected sounds would then have similar timbral signatures. These findings have remained valid in many different rooms over the years. These were small rooms: stereo listening rooms, home theaters and recording control rooms. As has been discussed earlier, listeners have a significant ability to separate the sound of the source from the sound of the room (Figure 5.16). The two sets of information appear to be perceptually streamed, with the result that loudspeakers retain their relative sound quality ratings in different rooms (Section 7.6.2).
Old 30th March 2020, 10:49 PM   #22
audiostar is offline audiostar  United States
diyAudio Member

Does Samsung want to be a big time player in the high end? Samsung acquired Harman for 8 billion.

Samsung was ranked 14th largest company in the world in 2018. 225 billion in sales. 41 billion in profit. 293 billion in assets.

How good will Lexicon SL-1 be? It retails for $40,000.
Lexicon SL-1 | Lexicon SL-1 steerable wireless loudspeaker system
Old 31st March 2020, 07:37 AM   #23
silverprout is offline silverprout  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid View Post
This part in Floyd Toole's Third edition of Sound Reproduction couldn't say it any clearer
"As has been discussed earlier, listeners have a significant ability to separate the sound of the source from the sound of the room"
Hello,
Is there any reliable data that corellate this assumption with the room modes destructions ?
Old 31st March 2020, 09:50 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

This is the part of the book that is referred to in that quote

Sound Reproduction: The Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms - Floyd E. Toole - Google Books

One of the references is research from Bregman

Auditory Scene Analysis | The MIT Press

Terms such as perceptual streaming and auditory scene analysis will turn up much of it

In terms of Toole's own research, blind listening tests indicates that the same speakers are preferred in the same order when listened to in different rooms, this doesn't in itself prove the point but it shows that good speakers are preferred no matter where they are listened to.
Old 31st March 2020, 10:07 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid View Post
it shows that good speakers are preferred no matter where they are listened to
Exactly the point, it seems that all expensive devices are designed to be listened in an anechoic chamber, they must sound fabulous in the desert.
Old 31st March 2020, 11:17 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

If you are trying to make a point I can't understand it. You seem to have an issue with some of the previous posts maybe you can explain what that is.
Old 1st April 2020, 12:02 AM   #27
Drofdissonance is offline Drofdissonance
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverprout View Post
Exactly the point, it seems that all expensive devices are designed to be listened in an anechoic chamber, they must sound fabulous in the desert.
seems as though what you quoted is saying the opposite of what you are saying.
Old 1st April 2020, 07:19 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofdissonance View Post
saying the opposite
Hello,
YOU are saying that this is the opposite.
Old 1st April 2020, 12:58 PM   #29
Drofdissonance is offline Drofdissonance
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverprout View Post
Hello,
YOU are saying that this is the opposite.
why are they designed to be listened to in an anechoic chamber? the research points to good speakers sounding good everywhere. if they were designed to be listened to in such a space, they would be flat on axis and nowhere else. probably something naive like an expo horn
Old 1st April 2020, 01:16 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofdissonance View Post
why are they designed to be listened to in an anechoic chamber? the research points to good speakers sounding good everywhere. if they were designed to be listened to in such a space, they would be flat on axis and nowhere else. probably something naive like an expo horn
Technically i don't know what is a "naive" expo horn and i don't really care about what technology is used to achive a requied directivity but perhaps you are thinking that an array of direct radiators can perform better than a point source horn and i don't say that it is impossible.
But i'm confident that "flat on axis" mean noting, except if you are talking about the direct radiated energy, and that a low volume BR load with a high Fcb is inacurate in the lows.

Samsung's ConvergenceHide this!Advertise here!