Curt Campbell's Halcyon build thread

Hi David, Thanks for your interest. I’ve been delayed by other inconveniences in my life, and have not made much progress lately. I believe I have all the parts and a design for my BI-amp option approach, and parts for that. Madisound sent a thinner foam than Curt recommended, but I now have the correct foam. The cabinets are glued up except for the open side and the base. So, I’m basically ready to finish it. Only veneer is still needed.

Believe it or not, I’m going on a business trip this week, so hopefully I’ll make serious progress next weekend.

ujju3doc,

If you change the XO point you will end up with a different speaker vs what the designers conceived as the Halcyon. It might be better, it might be worse, we do not know. :)

So if you want to build the Halcyon and listen to it, but also keep room for experimentation, you will need to make the necessary provision of extra binding posts while making the cabinet.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
...will need crossover modulation too..

Not sure what you mean.

With the A10p, i do not see any issues with a 1st order line level XO, we even cross the 3” FF85wk or Alpair 5.2 this low with good result.

With the greater centre-to-cente driver distance in this box, even 250 Hz might not be low enuff to achieve the ideal less than a quarter-wavelength metric — our MTM barely gets there, and it has something like a drivers worth saller c-c. It would be better if the midTweeter was in the middle.

If one can achieve that quarter WL and keep the XO 1st order the combination will almost by default keep things truly in-phase thru out the XO region. The unusual TL folding will give good side to side bracing thou.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Imagine what the sound of the Pensils are (if we assume the XO is low enuff), but more bass capability, and wit the relief of the midTweet from doing bass, and improvement in the upper midrange and top. Note i said upper midrange because the XO is so high.

I also noted that the A10p is padded down, something that points to a potentially better choice of woofer sensitivity to avoid that.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Midbass is 40-80 hz, so that is all covered by the woofer. 1st octave of midrange is 160-320 Hz, so it is missing all of that too. I’d not be XOing higher than 250 Hz with A10p, unless the goal is to play REAL loud.

The tube out the back is a basic form of midTL, much the same as i like to use, but i like a much higher taper.

For instance, in a mod to an IMF TLS 80, one wuld use the existing midrange tube, mount a FR into it, router out the back so it is an open tube and damp wtill aperiodic.

The design looks good, there are just a few choices made that i would consider doing somewhat differently. Every loudspeaker designer has to choose a set of compromises.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
At 250 Hz iy is likely better, and a whole lot easier to bi-amp. One could probably scale the passive to work, but i rarely do not do passive XOs so i will that to others.

Of note, given the driver spacing, one would need to get the XO down to 145 Hz to meet the 1/4 wavelength criterion. Anything higher is a compromise and the XO will start to intrude (more). The restricted terminus brtween the bass drivers and the TMM arrangement is largely responsible for that.

The passive XO impoedance curve is pretty good given the 4Ω woofers and 8Ω midTweeter.

Alpair_Project_system_impedance_09052016-984x435.jpg

dave

Hi David, Thanks for your interest. I’ve been delayed by other inconveniences in my life, and have not made much progress lately. I believe I have all the parts and a design for my BI-amp option approach, and parts for that. Madisound sent a thinner foam than Curt recommended, but I now have the correct foam. The cabinets are glued up except for the open side and the base. So, I’m basically ready to finish it. Only veneer is still needed.

Believe it or not, I’m going on a business trip this week, so hopefully I’ll make serious progress next weekend.

Hey Alan, have you made any progress on this build? did you go on your trip?

Bob