Troels Gravesen high efficiency 3-way looks like a winner.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
...He's also done a MkII version of 'The Loudspeaker'. Completely bonkers – although slightly less bonkers than the version 1. I wish I had room for something like that ... ;-/

excellent, i was thinking of doing that myself - slim down The Loudspeaker but I was thinking about a 12” closed box bass with EQ but I like what Troels has done here. The high cost audiophool parts remain an obstacle for many.

I think that’s unfair. It was a good response to the preceding criticisms, providing more balance to the discussion.

I’m quite intrigued by this design and am interested to read more of everyone’s thoughts - not least because I learn from those with much more knowkedge and experience than I have.

Troels, in my view, has earned some respect. He has explored many different approaches so he has dealt with, first hand, many examples of the tradeoffs all speaker designs require. I try to learn a little of the why’s and wherefore’s from his articles.

5th element, you are also very experienced. I’ve picked up a lot from your writings.

I like mostly to design and build amplifiers, both tube and solid state. A good speaker for testing amplifiers I build needs to be that strangest of beasts - a chameleon suited to low power tubes and high power transistors, i.e. to be sensitive and have good power handling. Not being a large and expensive or difficult-to-build project makes it a lot more accessible. This latest from Troels may be a candidate.

What tradeoffs did he make that you would do differently? and where the time, effort and cost would be justified by the resulting improvement.

This design should be a floor stander since the space take by the stand is wasted. It needs
more box volume to bring up the output at box tuning, doubling the volume increases the
output by about 6 dB. Take the increased volume and make it flat to 40 Hz or tune a bit
lower with a -3dB in the mid to high 30s.
That said, it seems that he was doing a design to be similar to the JBL L100, and that seems to have driven the size.
The PSB Stratus Gold is a good comp for the size that it should be, or even a bit bigger.

This design should be a floor stander since the space take by the stand is wasted. It needs
more box volume to bring up the output at box tuning, doubling the volume increases the
output by about 6 dB. Take the increased volume and make it flat to 40 Hz or tune a bit
lower with a -3dB in the mid to high 30s.
That said, it seems that he was doing a design to be similar to the JBL L100, and that seems to have driven the size.
The PSB Stratus Gold is a good comp for the size that it should be, or even a bit bigger.

At all not a substantial post!
Let's motivate:
1) freestanding box it's much-much better
2) doubling the volume brings the internal resonance at absurd levels, all reflected thru the cone ( pulp paper)
3) PSB Stratus Gold what?

Not that I like TG's design, he uses too big drivers...ok, this is one of the ultimate in size. Using a pro-driver you choose to trade efficiency for extremely low bass, but that's not a problem.

Well I’m intrigued by the driver selection, Tony over at Humble Homemade Hifi has a similar concept cooking claiming exceptional results.
He started cooking that speaker more than a year ago. Had a listen to it over at TG's. Very very good in the upper bass definition... in other aspects as well...but listening was too short to write anything meaningful about it.

Last edited:
My Aleph J is just great with my Open Source Monkey Coffins, which are very similar when it comes to impedance curve and efficiency. I am pretty sure the F6 is a great match with Troels' design.

Thank you. It seems that the numbers fit the paper for the F6 ... but I was wondering if these speakers are the type that need some extra extra power
To give their best. Troel says something about it:
"Replacing my EAR-861 with my Jungson 80 watts solid state .... My Goodness, this speaker can rock! Like I've heard from The Loudspeaker driven by a Gryphon monster amp, size matters here too. High-wattage amps can do stuff, even for high-efficiency speakers ".

regards

Thank you. It seems that the numbers fit the paper for the F6 ... but I was wondering if these speakers are the type that need some extra extra power
To give their best. Troel says something about it:
"Replacing my EAR-861 with my Jungson 80 watts solid state .... My Goodness, this speaker can rock! Like I've heard from The Loudspeaker driven by a Gryphon monster amp, size matters here too. High-wattage amps can do stuff, even for high-efficiency speakers ".

regards

What happens with high-power amps in combination with a speaker like Troels' is that it can go LOUD without distorting badly. Those drivers are made to do that (well, I don't know about the tweeter in Troels' design). The "average" low-efficiency "HiFi" speakers will reach their limits much earlier. Very audible distortion kicks in much ealier, and the sound collapses.

As they say: Loud is beautiful if it's clean!

I had the chance to hear this speaker with the SB Berylium dome at Troels Gravesens house yesterday. And I think it was very well balanced, and clear sounding. Bas had good control and volume enough for me. Dont expect a PA sound with these drivers, It is highend hifi sound, with the ability to sound loud !!
Only I would like to raise the speaker, on even higher stands, so that the tweeter is, at ear level/height, or else you have to sit very low, in my oppinion.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.