Kenwood 2-way crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The crossover is supposed to be at 6400 Hz (it is written on the speaker)
My questions are:
- Is the coil value 0.27mH?
- If i want to attenuate of 3 dB more the tweeter, what resistor should i use ? Lpad?
- the capacitor is a crappy bipolar, would it be beneficial to use a film here?
- same question with the coil, it is a low quality ferrite coil, would it be beneficial to use a air coil here?
Going back to the original question. It seems you have an old speaker with a very minimal crossover. Maybe you can obtain something better from this speaker redesigning the crossover but without measurements of the actual drivers nothing can be really achieved (IMHO).
What you really need to do is to replace the cap with a new one (same chemistry and value). Old electrolytic have capacitance far off and thus the crossover won't work as expected anymore.
We can't know what the coil value is, or it is written on it or should be measured, this isn't strictly a standard crossover (resistor place). Besides that changing a coil makes sense only when it is broken, but a coil hardly broke.
As far for the attenuation of the tweeter, the resistance needed depends on the actual impedance of the driver (not the nominal one). But changing the value of the resistor will wary the crossover point and also the FR (will change the slope), so if you want to attenuate further the tweeter (*) placing an l-pad after the crossover is the only sensible option.

Ralf

(*) How do you know you need a 3dB attenuation?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.