Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Help for DIY speakers
Help for DIY speakers
Help for DIY speakers Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th January 2020, 10:34 PM   #1
Researchrob is offline Researchrob  Italy
diyAudio Member

Default Help for DIY speakers

Hi everyone, i have just joined the community.
I've been reading alot from previous from other 3Ds but i'd like to have your help:

So i am approaching DIY speaker and i have decided to go 4ohm 1 TW and 2 Woofers as follow:

D2904/710003 - Tweeter 25mm Scan Speak - Revelator - 4ohm:
D2904/710003 - Tweeter 25mm Scan Speak - Revelator - 4ohm — Tweeter | Axiomedia

Scanspeak Ellipticor 21WE/4542T-00, 8" Mid-Woofer, 4 ohm

22W/4851T00 - 8" Woofer Scan Speak - Revelator - 4ohm
22W/4851T00 - 8" Woofer Scan Speak - Revelator - 4ohm — Woofer | Axiomedia

First i thought to go with 3-way crossover than i've read about 2.5 way crossover. Now since i'm not capable of building acossover. I kindly ask if i can use a 2-way crossover and a passband

Is it possible to combine this 2 way crossover at 1600hz:
Eminence PXB2:1K6 2-Way Speaker Crossover Board 1,600 Hz

And a low pass crossover at 250Hz?
Eminence PXB:250 Low Pass Crossover Board 250 Hz

If above is possible can you explain how to wire?

Thanks in advance for your advice

Best
Old 16th January 2020, 10:51 PM   #2
Galu is online now Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Your thread would be best transferred to the 'Loudspeakers, Multi-Way' section of the forum.
Old 17th January 2020, 01:23 AM   #3
Galu is online now Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

That's quite an outlay of money for the drivers (one woofer alone costs almost 300).

Off the shelf Eminence crossovers are not the way to go as they cannot possibly match with, and do justice to, your Scanspeak drivers.

I'm afraid you need crossovers which are specifically designed for your combination of drivers. If you can solder, you can build them!

Hopefully, the crossover design experts will chime in with suggestions.

Would you clarify your design intentions - tweeter, mid/woofer and woofer all in one cabinet or what?

Last edited by Galu; 17th January 2020 at 01:30 AM.
Old 17th January 2020, 03:06 AM   #4
Tweet is offline Tweet  Australia
diyAudio Member

Researchrob, it is the crossover that will make or break a loudspeaker's listenability, not necessarily the quality of drivers themselves regardless of their price.

With low impedance drivers such as these with their low distortion attributes it will be an expensive exercise in quality components for the crossovers.

For inexperienced DIY'ers it can be a disappointing outcome particularly if they have spent a large sum of cash on a design, only then to find it does not perform to their expectations.

Loudspeaker design requires a knowledge base to be successful, that's why we are here ..... to learn from one another's experience. It's a great resource. If you haven't already outlayed all that expense for the drivers yet I would suggest you try something more reasonably priced and at a higher impedance.

Welcome to the forum, and you'll also find not everyone is as forward as myself.

C.M
Old 17th January 2020, 08:40 AM   #5
Researchrob is offline Researchrob  Italy
diyAudio Member

Nope unfortunately i have already ordered the drivers, the thing is i would have gone 3 way but i feel stucked and as you mentioned, and have a little bit of fear of breaking up something.

My second option will be to use a 2-way crossover maybe wiring in series the two woofers 2DF1800 - PRV Audio
Old 17th January 2020, 09:11 AM   #6
picowallspeaker is offline picowallspeaker  Italy
diyAudio Member

Hi Rob, why have you decided to go 4 Ω ?
About the -research in your nick, you seem to have not made some...
(8 Ω is better for the amplifier).
Why didn't you ask Axiomedia? Oh, they just sell...

About the drivers that you chose, I'd prefer a true 3-way design- so a real midrange might be needed, and that would make the design more easy ( for the ears )
So, you select a speaker between the two 8", then you have to select a suitable driver for the midrange >>> OH NO! I'm falling in the step-by-step-How-to-start-with-LS-design_basics
Old 17th January 2020, 09:19 AM   #7
YSDR is online now YSDR  Hungary
diyAudio Member

These sepaker with that driver combination needs to be a 3 way, because if you connect the woofers for 2 or 2.5 way the impedance would dip below 2 Ohm easily. You can't use series connection for nominal 8 Ohm total because the woofers are not identical.
Even with 3 way, the impedance probably dips below 3 Ohm, but that's much better then say 1.5 Ohm with a 2.5 way.
Old 17th January 2020, 09:23 AM   #8
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Moderator

Help for DIY speakers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Researchrob View Post
maybe wiring in series the two woofers
Probably not a good choice. They are not likely to play evenly together. Although it can be done it would be random and unusual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Researchrob View Post
2.5 way crossover.
This was the first thing that I thought would work, however there is a sensitivity difference between the drivers of 4.5dB, so no.

This leaves two-way using one of the woofers per side.
Old 17th January 2020, 09:45 AM   #9
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Researchrob, I think you may have got extremely lucky here in choosing two almost identical 8" 4 ohm drivers!

Wire them in series in a biggish 60 litre box, and they come out at 8 ohms and around 93dB loudness.

Unfortunately they appear to go to Hell above 1kHz.

I doubt if this is doable as a two way with any 1" tweeter I can think of. I think you need a midrange at this point to get it working:

SEAS-3-Way-Classic

Last edited by system7; 17th January 2020 at 09:49 AM.
Old 17th January 2020, 10:03 AM   #10
4real is offline 4real  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Put the tweeter on a waveguide to boost the low end a bit so you can lower the crossover point to the massive 8" "mid" as close to 1Khz as possible. Next go active, at least two channel, so you can integrate the second 8" properly. And at the bare minimum get yourself a measurement microphone.

Help for DIY speakersHide this!Advertise here!