4 inch driver recommendation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There are a lot of good 4 inch from drivers out there. I think a good 4 full range driver would suit your needs..A lot of good examples already. I didn't read all the post ( sorry ) but, I don't know how much your willing to spend on each or a pair? Dayton Audio has a lot of good 4 inch drivers they offer and now Visaton drivers as well. Also what type of the terminal are you looking for the drivers being made of? Cheers Jeff

which of all these is closest to the sound of electrostatic speakers?

Very different technology so really non of the above. However, the closest would be the SB12PAC25-4.

Troelsgravesen used it in his TV speaker and quote:
"This 4" alu driver deliver a great mid/upper-mid and transparency as good as it gets. Seriously!" His words, my sentiment.
myTV

A comment by the designer of the PAC and CAC drivers.
Near-field monitors

The shape and plastic basket can put people off but it's high bang for buck.

Last edited:
The suspension is not the reason that breakup happens like you think. For instance, the ATC 3" dome mid also has a spider. It still can't play ultra high mainly due to it's diameter.

2" domes are wonderful sounding mids, and I've used several. You have to know how to use them, but they are great. Usually you can't use them much below 850Hz, and not much higher than 4k, and I find the breakup to be minimal and usually higher than the bandwidth at which they are utilized. Not all are created equal, and there are some mid-domes I don't like at all.

As to cone mid sizing, it really depends on the diameter and how high the woofer is playing, as well as how low the tweeter can play comfortably. 3-5" seems to be the sweet spot with these factors involved, however, you can go to a 6" mid and find it easier when using very large woofers.

1.5-2" cone drivers typically act more like a low-tweeter than a mid. They typically can't flesh out the weight of the vocal range on their own, and dispersion suffers higher to where a tweeter might still be required. They also tend to be lower sensitivity and might not keep up with the tweeter and woofer. (The dome variant is usually more sensitive.)

Later,
Wolf

The suspension is not the reason that breakup happens like you think. For instance, the ATC 3" dome mid also has a spider. It still can't play ultra high mainly due to it's diameter.

Probably I didn't used the right words. I never meant the suspension was the reason. It is that the cone driver has discontinuity in the middle where it meets the voice coil - this is what shifts the breakup up in frequency. It has nothing to do with the suspension. There are 5" cones that can play as high as the 3" ATC!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
My favorite 4” todat eis teh Mark Audio Alpair 7.3. We often use from 250hz up.

Using multiples as high as you plan means that you will have comb filtering starting about the frequencies at which the wavelength exceeds 1/4 wavelength of the centre-to-centre distance is exceeded. To minimize this you will need a listening distance significntly distant from the speaker.

dave

I have not yet worked with midrange domes but would like to give it a try, what would you recommend? No luxury drivers i hope :)

It doesn't have to be expensive. Peerless has a couple small dome midbasses that have been thought fondly of that could yield a wider bandwidth and play lower. If you want a true mid-dome, I would go for the 2 HiVi domes at the moment: DMB-a and DMN-a.

I do not like the RS52AN, but that is a personal preference. The FN might be better.

Later,
Wolf

It doesn't have to be expensive. Peerless has a couple small dome midbasses that have been thought fondly of that could yield a wider bandwidth and play lower. If you want a true mid-dome, I would go for the 2 HiVi domes at the moment: DMB-a and DMN-a.

I do not like the RS52AN, but that is a personal preference. The FN might be better.

Later,
Wolf

Thank you, i will look them up. What do you think of visatons mid domes or the dayton dc50fa, or the ’new/soon to come’ sb acoustics dome?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.